1. Fanficlover

Fanficlover Member

How to come up with good title for a story?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Fanficlover, Dec 4, 2010.

I am trying to come up a good title for my new story to write. It is a crossover between Detective Conan and Ace Attorney Investigations, but I just don't want to call it just that or else it will be too long.

PS: Little same question, what can I do to make up a good titile for a story, too?

2. Jonalexher

Jonalexher Contributing Member

I've been having the same problem with my novel, some say it doesn't matter and to worry about it last; however, many authors based their stories off their titles, they get ideas from their title, etc.
    Worry about fleshing out the story for now, and give us something to think about haha, for the title I mean, give us a quick synopsis of your story and we'll be able to give out some title suggestions

3. Fanficlover

Fanficlover Member

Sure. Well, the storyline is about a murder crime happened and surprisingly, one of the main characters from Detective Conan, Ran's mother (aka Rachel Moore if you read the English version manga). Conan is determined to solve this crime, but at the scene surprisingly Miles Edgeworth from Ace Attorney series appears, too. They must partner up and solve the crime case. Also, Edgeworth is also on his own case that later become a connection the current murder case, too.

4. Jonalexher

Jonalexher Contributing Member

I'm not sure how fan fiction titles work sorry, never wrote one myself, wouldn't you have to include these works' titles in your title?

5. TobiasJames

TobiasJames Contributing Member

I'm sure there's already a really similar thread to this in the forum... that's probably the best place to start to look for helpful tips.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

don't ask others how to title your stories [or when/how to start them, etc.]... the title will be in there somewhere, so just finish writing the thing and when you read it over, you'll find it...

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I agree with mammamaia. I have named my stories at various stages of completion, but the title always sprang from something within the story. In one case, I had had a working title while I was writing it, then decided on another title when I was editing, and then decided on the final title during my final read-through. You never know.

8. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

I agree with Maia and Ed - do the title at the end.

It's good to have a working title, but once the story is written, you'll be able to draw the perfect title from the finished product.

9. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

In terms of writing fanfictions. The title almost ALWAYS, gives the audiance an idea about what that work is going to be about. So you definately want to try and keep it related to the story. If not getting it from the story itself.

Perhaps a phrase that one of the characters says. Or maybe clue. Something along those lines.

I know for my fanfiction works I've pulled the title from something the characters say or do. Or perhaps the general idea of the story itself. But the title was never my main focus. That came after the story.

10. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

I think this is a good fair question - what makes a good title.

I honestly don't know have four novels under my belt at least to first draft form and have named one successfully. The others I have taken titles from songs that inspired them.

11. AnathemicOne

AnathemicOne Member

I have this problem when writing, currently on my story dealing with a fall-from-grace theme and I know I have to have a good title. So being my OCD-self when it comes to writing I just titled it Project 1, and it worked out!

All joking aside, write the story out first I say and keep the main plot in your head. And as you go along or when you finish you'll be able to fine a title relating to some event in what you wrote or the plot in general.