1. WritingGuru

WritingGuru New Member

How to connect the separate sheets of writings into one good story?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by WritingGuru, May 3, 2010.

Most of the time I have so much to tell people about my life, that I want to write a romance. Well I wrote about 100 pages already, but they are just separate scenes from the actions. Most of the time I begin writing what I want to tell, but there is no beginning, no ending, just separate part of a story. And when I try to glue them from the beginning to the end, I feel lost and tired after an hour or shorter time. I loose my inner inspiration just because of this technical work to find a way how to join these separate parts of the story into one. It's so hard to think and to get more inspiration how to do it. Most of the time I try to listen to meditation music that helps me to relax, but it doesn't help me to think how to connect these separate parts into one story.

Does it mean that I will not write a good book ever if I can't connect these parts and most on the time just write a new part? What would you suggest for me? It's really a hard job. Does this feeling is a well known for you?

2. Cyricist

Cyricist New Member

Are these seperate scenes with the same characters?
    In the same setting?

3. WritingGuru

WritingGuru New Member

Yes the same characters acting in different events. Think as they are all friends gathering together from time to time. But it's so hard to join those events one after another, day by day, month by month...

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

Plots are what drive storylines and connect scenes.

5. Cyricist

Cyricist New Member

I would add a few sentences to connect the pages.

Such as something like;
    'The rest of the week was spent in a mindless blur '

However, if that doesn't work you can try to simply just put the date at the top of the page.

To some extent I agree with Cogito. The plot is the main driving force. Of course, you may have a plot, but it will be extremely confusing uness it is showed in some logical order. So far it just seems like a series of short stories with the same characters.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

stop writing disjointed 'scenes' and start telling a story!

if any of those scenes fit into the story you're telling, then insert them with the proper connections... if they don't, just save them for another story...