1. Shifty

Shifty Member

I live in my head with my characters most of the

How to create a profound character.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Shifty, Aug 24, 2011.

Hello There.

I would like to know about techniques you use that help define and shape a character and make him a lot more tangible.

Currently I'm using the first person narrative, so that I can include his thoughts and feelings (Something i have a bit of trouble on, I can hardly talk about my own feelings, let alone the character i dreamt up).
    I'm also using the fantasy genre as i believe this genre has the capability to say alot of the world we live in if we allow it.

Any other writing techniques that you know of that can help a character jump out the pages and affect the way you see the world.

A bit like Samwise Gamgee from lord of the rings,(I wouldnt ever dream of comparing my work on the same level as Tolkien, but this example helps me explain what i mean) he showed that even the smallest, not literally, of people are capable of feats of bravery and help shaping the world. Which i think is what Tolkien wanted Samwise to show, all of the hobbits in fact. The real heroes are the little guy.

What I want is to make my character, portray a theme that comes across through the words and affect your view of the world. Ambitious I know, If you have any advice to give, techniques that i dont know about that i could read up on and learn from to help me, that would be absolutely brilliant. Thankyou.

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I find myself able to make a character that seems realistic without thinking about it too much, at least from the feedback I get from those who read my work (and can actually be trusted with an opinion).

By all rights, there's no reason why you should need to put too much work into a character. I mean, the best thing (in my opinion) is to just write the character. That way, everything that comes out will flow from your mind to the page and will give them as natural a flow as you're able to bestow on them.

That's the best way to avoid a character being forced as well, in my honest opinion.

3. Shifty

Shifty Member

I live in my head with my characters most of the
    right. So maybe im trying to much?
    I dont want him to appear forced, and therefore fake that would ruin it.

Just looking for some techniques i could employ.

4. Motley

Motley Active Member

Theme, which is that stuff like "even the smallest person can make a big difference," is played out throughout the book by what the characters do and say, and how they change. Just like people in real life.

I don't think there are any techniques to making a good character. Once you realize characters are just people, I think it gets easier. What do people have? Histories, goals, dreams, things they like, things they hate, flaws. Every bit interacts with every other bit.

Sam was noble and stalwart perhaps because his old Gaffer gave him a strong work ethic as a gardener, and he liked Frodo so much perhaps because Frodo treated him like an equal. No great mysteries leading to the theme. Just life.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Make your character a persin rather than an archetype. As muchg as possible, observe a variety of real people. Notice their mannerisms, their speech patterns, their mood swings, all the things that make them distinguishable from the person alongside them with similar appearance.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The first thing you can do to help you is to not think of them as a 'character' but a 'person'. Make them real to you.