How to describe pain in a story

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by gala, Mar 29, 2012.

1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

To my knowledge, I'm not sure how you would describe the feeling of getting your skull whacked twain.

I think that's the central issue. A story is most likely a fantasy, why not describe fantasy pain?

2. Just Jon

Just Jon New Member

Good information! That is a seriously creepy description. Gave me the goosebumpies. :)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Talk to a trauma doctor or nurse. They can probably give you a good idea of what victims of various types of violence are going through - when there is agony, when there is numbness or shock preventing the victim from feeling much, etc.

4. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

You ought to own one of my knives.

I have numerous clients run up to me, smiling and telling me they have a humorous story to relate. The tale usually goes like: "And so, Tourist, I'm making a salad and suddenly the entire bowl fills with blood! I didn't feel a thing! Wow, was that funny..."

They're not mad, they're not troubled, they're bragging. Now, I understand the concept of a "red badge of courage," but you can sever a whole bunch of tendons and nerve endings with a polished Japanese edge. However, the more the number of stitches the better the story becomes.

If you can figure out a way to describe that concept in a story, have at it. BTW, the women are the worst. Blade polishers call them 'blade babes,' and they are fanatics! You can tell one by the spooky '1000 yard stare' and the crazy scary hardware they carry for an EDC.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/TheTourist_bucket/005-10.jpg

5. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

See if you can find an autobiographical piece by someone who's been shot.