1. jsallen10

jsallen10 New Member

How to form a thesis in a close reading paper?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jsallen10, Dec 7, 2009.

What should the thesis cover and how do I come to a thesis? I've analyzed the passage I have chosen but I feel like it is just uncovering symbolism and explaining different metaphors and such. How can I argue anything about that?

Also, how would I organize the paper? Should I analyze each sentence or significant point one by one, in the order that it is placed in the passage?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Different people have different interpretations about the text. Your thesis should focus on your interpretation, drawing together your findings about symbolism, metaphors, etc. The best thing to do is to do an online search about structuring such a paper. Since this is a school assignment, it's best if you figure it out on your own.

Also, you can always ask the teacher or a tutor for help and/or clarification.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

your teacher is the person you should be asking... no one here can possibly know what s/he wants...

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

Whenever I do close reading essays I always go through chronologically from start to finish without much thought given to a thesis, focussing only on examining the text as much as possible, sentence by sentence and getting everything out of it. Once you've done that first draft, there is usually a pretty obvious argument to be developed based on what you find (the passages chosen must have some significance; they're not chosen randomly) and from there it's easy to restructure your essay into a logical argument beginning with a typical thesis. If you have to do one in a class or test, its a little more difficult as you need to focus on developing an argument from the first couple of lines and just going with it regardless of what other ideas may come up as you go, but the structure shouldn't be much different.