1. OscarW

OscarW New Member

E-zines

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by OscarW, May 25, 2010.

I have noticed some people stating that e-zines are not a good way to go. I'm not sure if their comments were directed at any particular e-zine, however, I would like to get anyone's feelings regarding e-zines. It seems to me that an e-zine that has a legitimate website, pays writers and otherwise operates as a normal publisher should be considered as good as any print publisher that pays. They seem to be taking advantage of the easier access and lower costs associated with e-zines. I don't want to get too much into the pay aspect since another forum touched on this, but what is everyone's view concerning e-zines that cover short stories?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you can find an e-zine that pays as well as print publications, and the contract terms are comparable, go for it.

Both e-zines and print magazines are (usually) primatily funded by their advertisements, with the the rate based on circulation. Therefore, there's no reason I can see that e-zines would be inherently unable to pay as much to contributors as print magazines.

Personally, as a reader I prefer print magazines. I can read them in places electronic reading is less convenient or practical, and I find paper and print less strain on the eyes for long reading sessions. But that's just me.

3. izanobu

izanobu New Member

I read and submit to plenty of e-zines. There are great ones, especially in the speculative fiction field, that pay as well or better than print and publish wonderful stories.

I'd say a market is a market, as Cogito said, as long as they pay well and have a decent contract, I don't see you shouldn't treat an e-zine just like a print one. (And many are free to read, which rocks from a reader's perspective).

4. OscarW

OscarW New Member

Thanks for the replies. I share your guys' views on this issue, but wanted to know why it seemed that many people still have a poor image of e-zines despite their pay or readership. Again, thanks.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my views on the subject were amply stated by cog...

i have to wonder if he's reading my mind, since that's so often the case! ;-)

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, if you leave it wide open... ;)

7. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

e-zines and ebooks are slowly gaining more and more interest all the time, Oscar. The few people I have spoken to that dislike e-zines, have all stated the same thing. They don't like them because you have to read them on screen and you can't place them on your shelf. Plus, if they are e-zines that need downloading, they clutter up your computer.

I think one of the benefits of e-zines/e-books, is that they are a lot cheaper (as long as you aren't going through lulu as you are going to get ripped off... ).

I prefer to read from a book, rather than an e-zine, because to me, there is nothing quite like curling up in bed with a book in my hands. With an e-zine, I'm stuck at the desk infront of my computer. Although if it is something I like, I'll sit here are read it anyway.

Hope this helps you out.

E-zines are great, you find some fantastic stories and poems in them. Just avoid the ones that don't pay if you are going to submit to them. :)

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

well, i don't think i've ever been guilty of having a closed one....................