1. Jon Sikes

Jon Sikes New Member

How To Get Back Into "It"

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Jon Sikes, Jun 5, 2015.

At the start of this year I found myself unemployed, which I worked hard daily to remedy but I also took that time to really dive into finally writing my novel. I began doing my research, outlining, going to workshops, and reading up on the craft. A few weeks ag0, after a few interviews, I found another line of work. But in the wake of this new employment I haven't been able think about my novel. My work doesn't detract from my writing, but I can't seem to get back into "it".

Does anyone have any advice on how to get your mind back on writing after diverting part of your mental process to something unrelated. I was really on a roll and really want to get back to that. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

2. EmptySoul

EmptySoul Active Member

I sympathize - I really do. When I was trying to back into "it", what helped me was stream of consciousness writing. For five minutes a day, I just wrote without letting my internal editor getting involved. Five minutes grew to ten. Ten grew to fifteen. After about two weeks, I found myself so caught up in the piece I was creating that the plot and characters began to guide me again.

Hope it helps,

~ES

No-Name Slob likes this.
  3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Over the years, I've often found myself faced with a change in situation or challenging circumstances that required me to turn away from writing for a while. As the challenges were met or as I settled into a new routine, I found that I was able to ease myself into a new routine that accommodated my writing. And, yes, it sometimes took a period of adjustment, but never for long.

Mike Hill and 123456789 like this.
  4. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

like @EdFromNY said,

You may wind up developing different routines to accommodate changing schedules. For a long, hard, good while, I was doing an hour every morning. Right now, I've been getting no mornings, a little at night (and no serious AHA moments, either), but many hours on the weekend. Believe it or not, it evens out.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

When I read a fascinating book in the genre I'm writing, I want to work on my book. It's like living in a fictional world when I'm reading or writing, so both motivate me to want to do the other. I wish I could quit work, but that's not possible yet.

EdFromNY likes this.
  6. TiffanyAnne

TiffanyAnne New Member

When this happened to me, I feared I was losing my passion, so I did the only thing I could. I wrote. Bits and pieces each day. I remember one day, I wrote three words. But I didn't beat myself up, because at least I wrote those three words. For me, the passion was still locked away so I switched to editing my old work. After doing this for a while, the passion for my novel, the one I aspired to get published, returned and I haven't stopped since!

Since writing comes from such an emotional place, it's understandable how life can affect it. Just make sure to always make time for writing, even when your heart isn't in it. If you really can't force yourself, relax and step away from it for a few days, but set a goal for yourself. Say, "I'll stop writing for three days, but I won't let myself go past that! Once three days are up, I must write something."

Wish you all the best!

7. Reilley Turner

Reilley Turner Active Member

I'll give this a shot.

if you don't have to get up early for any reason, when you get in bed, try imagining anything. Then, as your imagination runs wild, try to piece a story together and if you can't, rinse and repeat until something, even the tiniest detail, comes to you. But here's the trick; write down your ideas when they hit you. If you can't do it right then, try to ingrain that idea in your mind so that you (hopefully) remember it on the morning, and note it down then. And if you forget your idea, don't worry, it'll come back to you (and probably at the worst possible time too :p)

Hope this helps, and if it doesn't, let me know and I'll try to think of something else. :)

I wish you the best of luck and even though I might be just beginning to write, I feel like the best (unpublished) author in the world. I guess you could call my process "following your heart instead of your mind." Something to that degree at least. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck for the second time. Lets hope that makes you twice as lucky. :)

8. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

It may sound trite, but there are two things I do in this situation:
    1) put my butt in the chair, and
    2) make typing motions on the keyboard.

It doesn't matter what you're writing; eventually you'll find your way back into 'it.' ;)

I went through a dry spell for ten years, I was burned out after producing more than 6000 pages in nine months and just couldn't put my brain in writing mode. Despite that, I still wrote. It was mostly crap, but I did it anyway. I cranked out two screenplays and a bunch of other stuff and even recorded a few ideas for stories which I've since started work on.

I doubt you'll go that long, but I've related this to let you know that no matter what, eventually you'll get your groove back.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015