1. ecouter11

ecouter11 New Member

How to get past mental block, "fear of writing"

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ecouter11, Apr 4, 2013.

Hey everyone, I dunno if this is the write place to post it but I'd greatly appreciate your advice on this topic.

I am currently a student in HS. I can write "non-personal" items. Obviously there are areas where I can improve but I don't have a problem actually putting my thoughts to paper.

However, when I am asked to write "personal" pieces, either about my experiences or how I feel after being exposed to a poignant movie/film/whatever, I immediately get this mental block and as a result, my writing comes out as stilted and robotic. It sucks because that's not who I really am -- I am emotional and sensitive, perhaps too much so. I just can't communicate those feelings in writing. Non-fiction, fiction, whatever.

I love to read; however, there is hardly anytime left for me nowadays. When I was younger, I read everything I could get my hands on. I think the written word is a very important art form.

This is rather frustrating for me and I would greatly appreciate it if any of you have suggestions on exercises or books. I think expressing myself through words would be very therapeutic for me in and it's just irritating for me on a personal level to not be able to "say" what I mean.

As I said earlier, any thoughts would be very much welcome! :)

2. idle

idle Active Member

You're saying that you cannot write well about your own feelings or opinions. Is it better if you write about someone else's? Like characters in your stories? You could practice on them. And if you manage to write thoughts of a character who has views similar to yours, you're almost there.

3. Quille

Quille Senior Member

Idle has given you a great way to work through this.

I do wonder if your "stilted and robotic" writing is as bad as you think. You may not have time to leave the writing for a week or more and then look at it. If you can, try it, you might be better than you think.

I got through the first draft of my novel by reminding myself it was "just a draft" (hoping that will work through the second draft as well) and am working through a short story the same way. This stops me from staring at the screen while I fumble around for the perfect words. If your assignment timing allows you could try this as well.

Good luck.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Jot things free form -
    stream of conscious. Don't try to force things into how they should sound. Let it flow out. Then
    look over what you've got and sort it out. It's a great way to find interesting thoughts.

When you try to make everything organized and 'sound good' in a first draft that's sometimes
    how it can remain rather lifeless.
    First drafts are supposed to be messy.