1. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

How to kick start writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by sprirj, Sep 8, 2015.

About a month ago, I dropped out of my routine to write everyday, in fact I stopped altogether, as I had a seriously busy schedule and was exhausted. Now things have settled down, I want to start writing again, but I'm finding it harder to find the time. Does anybody have any tips for kick starting themselves?

2. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

If you want to bad enough you will. If you don't, you won't. It's not something you can or should force.

3. BookLover

BookLover Contributing Member

Well, if you don't have any time, you might have to make a conscious decision to carve out some time. Like set your alarm an hour earlier and write then or nix that half hour of TV you watch every evening or something like that. Of course, finding the time is half the battle. Now you need to find the motivation.

It may sound super cheesy, but visualizing yourself writing during that time slot you just carved out for yourself will also help. Before you go to sleep at night, visualize yourself waking up at the sound of your alarm, excitedly putting on your house slippers, padding over to your writing desk, turning on your computer, and typing merrily away in your novel. Make sure you visualize it all as something positive and something you want to do. Repeat this visualization a couple times before you go to sleep. I know visualizations sound really, really corny, but they truly do work for a lot of people. Something about seeing yourself doing it solidifies in your mind that you can do it.

Anyway, it could be a kickstarter. Once you get back into the habit, things will go smoothly again.

I've also fallen out of the habit due to a hectic schedule and exhaustion. Right now, I can only find the time on the weekends. :(

4. sprirj

It's a strange thing, I really want to write, I do have an hour a day to write, but I seem to never get around to it... Urgh!

5. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee The writer formerly known as Chained. Contributor

You can't go at it half baked; writing for the sake of writing is very difficult. What really helped me were the short story contests on this site- they're low pressure, time restrictive, and you have a quick turn around on results. Take a short story prompt, think about what you'd like to write throughout the day, and then you're primed when the time comes.

Once you have that step down it's your turn to figure out the processes for continuing and finishing a story; I could really use some cliff-notes.

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If you REALLY want to write, you will. If you keep finding other things to do instead, you need to ask yourself "why?" If it's fear that you won't be able to pick up where you left off, or that you'll forget what you were planning on writing, there's only one way to deal with that...sit yourself down and deal with it.

Best of luck.

7. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

What do you find yourself doing instead?

8. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

Find something you want to write - come up with a general narrative - and write it!

For example, I had been stuck on a short story for months and was overthinking everything from the story itself to how I'd approach finishing it. This led to me postponing actually working on it. One day, fed up, I just told myself to write - write anything that comes to mind, let the story flow and from that came 3500 words and a completed story in one sitting. Now I'm invigorated with the sense of purpose and ability.

Try it out.

9. sprirj

I think it's because I feel an hour is not enough time to begin where I left off... I want to write my current wip but I do have another story idea I want to develop.

I find myself doing work... Checking emails, etc etc

10. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

Find more time, which means you have to sacrifice something. I've sacrificed my video gaming for writing. But that doesn't mean that I've completely eschewed video gaming. Like most professionals, you need a bit of R&R. When I've completed my allotted two-hour writing session, I give myself a treat by playing a video game, reading a book or just browsing the internet.

11. Scrib

Scrib Active Member

Maybe, for the sake of getting back into the routine, you could try letting yourself begin by jotting down some of those new story ideas the first day back at your desk? You can then pick up where you left off with the current WIP the next day. Or you do a little bit of both each day? Sometimes it doesn't matter exactly what it is you're writing, the fact that you're writing is what counts. I think this applies especially after a hiatus.

sprirj likes this.
  12. sprirj

I wish I had the luxury of being able to sacrifice playing video games. Truth is the only time I'm not busy doing important things is the hour and a half I get to spend with my girlfriend, and I don't think she would be best pleased if I stopped communicating with her altogether. I have got an hour slot, that is all I have to work with, and even that gets eaten away by other things. I am so busy, I've not completed reading a book yet, this year.