1. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Attending a private school in Britain?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Youniquee, May 2, 2012.

Can you tell me your experiences, the kind of people there, the general environment and a typical structure of the day?

I attend a public school so this is kind of hard for me. I visited a private school once but didn't really get much information out of it. D: (Except they have cuter uniforms but that's kind of irrelevant...)

Thank you~
    (I haven't written a forum post in such a long time, so please forgive me if the structure is strange)

2. thecoopertempleclause

thecoopertempleclause New Member

Britain covers three countries, you may need to be more specific. We talking Wales, Scotland, England? Which county also? What kind of private school is it?

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I have no details to offer, but wanted to note that while "public school" in the United States means a government-run school, "public school" in Britain means something closer to what Americans would call a "private school".

4. thecoopertempleclause

thecoopertempleclause New Member

Without further details, all I can suggest is that you type "Eton College" into Wikipedia and read the entire article. Eton is perhaps the most famous public school in England and there should be a fair bit of applicable information in the article there.

5. Youniquee

Well...my school calls it's self a public school/state school and I live in Britain :s Maybe I'm naming it wrong...

I have done and it's an all boys school and it's also very top end. I'm looking for an average private school that's mixed, but thanks for suggestion anyway.

England...assuming county means...city, London but I don't want to narrow it down too much. I just want a general overview of private schools in England. A mixed, average private school.

Thanks for replying~

6. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

7. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

My experience is from Sunderland/South Tyneside and I don't know how different London would be, but my brother went to pretty 'average' private schools, from what I heard from him the day to day routine was very similar to my comprehensive. What was different was that the private schools had much smaller class sizes, and the kids were far better behaved- in all likelihood because there were fewer of them so easier to discipline. It was more old-fashioned than my school, with the pupils expected to stand when a teacher enters the room etc.

My impression was that kids at his schools were encouraged more to pursue things that interested them so it was a less cookie-cutter education than mine, even though obviously the kids still got good grades in general.

One thing I really noticed is that my brother has grown up with a neutral, bordering on posh accent, where I have a pretty strong local accent (neither of our parents are from here).

Sorry these observations are a bit general, if you think I can help with anything specific let me know.

8. Youniquee

It's probably me that's got it wrong...using the american term I think.

Hmm, I understand that to be honest, that it will be elitist to an extent. When I mean by average, that the fees are around £4,000/£5,000 not like, £13,000.

True and that's why I didn't want to narrow it down so much. I just want a general view, since this private school is going to made up anyway~

Whoa, that was helpful :3 Thank you for that!
    Question, did the your brother's school have 'houses'? According to my research so far, a lot of private schools seem to do this...
    If so, how does it work?

Thank you everyone for the information~

9. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

^ It did, but only for the purposes of in-house sports tournaments and sports days, they didn't have much/any use apart from that. I do get the impression that they have more application in other schools though.

10. Youniquee

Hmm, Thank you. Kinda of reminds me of my school xD Yeah, a lot of private schools take this 'house' system pretty seriously. It's a nice concept though~

Does anyone have any more information for me? :3

11. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Apart from sports events and so on, the original house system mean exactly what it sounds like: the pupils lived in various different houses. The house system is still used in most boys public schools but it's less common in girls and co-ed schools.
    btw, most private schools are either primary or secondary. There are not many where older and younger children are all mixed up together.

12. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

All I know is that I was pretty psyched to be Sorted into Ravenclaw.