1. Backspin

Backspin New Member

Creating conflict, tension for romance novel

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Backspin, Nov 5, 2010.

Hi guys!

I'm a newbie and I just randomly stumbled on this forum and it seems like the paradise for real writers and of course "fake" writers like me :D I'm just joking

Anyway, this is my story.This X-mas, I want to give my gf a surprise gift and since she's far far away from me, I decided to make something special that she likes that is to write for her a romance novel. She likes romantic stuff, sweet love, nice characters etc. and preferable a happy ending. I've written 20 pages already, it's a story of a guy with his roommate goes to Paris on a summer trip and there he met this young lady at place Vendome who got robbed and he helped her to get it back basically. Sounds kinda cheesy but whatever :D

My problem is now I can't really decide how to build the conflict and make it explode at some point but still resolvable in the end to make a happy ending. I mean that is the best way to do it but if there is no other way, I would have to make it a tragedy. Any suggestions here ? Is there any place on the net where I can get some sort of ideas about this? Like : common conflicts or romance tension !?

Please help me guys!

Thank you very much.

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Hey there. :)

Well, look at the possible points you have so far: the roomate could be a romantic rival, or merely jealous and sabotage stuff. Or he could create conflict in some other way, like getting mauled by an escaped tiger (lol, sorry, not actually using my creativity here, but you get the idea? :p) so the poor main character has to deal with his bleeding wounds instead of going on his second date. This can lead to confusion, misunderstandings, and it's up to you to work out how to make the girl see this as the worst possible insult or something.

Then you have the fact it's a holiday romance, so you could have a lot more of a bitter sweet sort of romance going on after their initial clicking, and maybe they fall out right before he leaves or something, and drag the story on long after their actual first meeting?

I dunno what else you've hinted at in your story that obviously you haven't told us. Read through what you have so far and see where things might be used against your main couple.

3. Backspin

Backspin New Member

Hey Melzaar!

Thanks for your reply. For my scenario I was thinking like this. Ok he returns back to England ( he studies master there ) after the holidays and visit her again in Paris at X-mas time. This time she introduces him to her family. Her father "challenges"him to a alcohol drinking contest of some sort with him like:" you can only go out with my daughter if you win against me". So the guy gets drunk after the challenge, goes to his bedroom and get seduced by his gf's little sister who admires him so much. He rejects her but misunderstood by his gf when she sees it etc. But the problem is first I'm not really sure how to develop it yet and also it seems pretty hard to have a happy ending that is logical :|

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

A lot of the logic in a novel only happens when you write it - internal logic that is only justified by an odd line here or there that you might not even plan to write, but as you go it will just occur to you. I hold a lot of faith in things just happening as they happen when you write. :p

Anyway, I like the sound of that plot continuation - all I can really say is go for it, write it, and things should work themselves out as you go. Stopping and worrying about it like this is the best way to make sure it doesn't work out. :p

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why not just stick to the tried and true old standard of 'boy finds girl; boy loses girl; boy finds girl again and they live happily ever after'?

make her unattainable in some way, then figure out how he can get her anyway...

have some seemingly impossible to overcome obstacles pop up, then find ways for him to overcome them...

have the two guys vie for her affections, with the other guy in the lead, then reverse it and have your guy win her over...

and so on................

6. Zombie_Chinchilla

Zombie_Chinchilla New Member

Although I'm not answering your question, I'll offer advice, anyways.

Would you say you have a sweet story about how you met your girlfriend? Maybe you could write a novel about your experiences together. Maybe even in the first person, from your perspective, describing all of your feelings for her.

As a girl, this would be a very sweet gift from that special someone. I'd love it. :D

7. Backspin

Backspin New Member

^^ I did that once already hehe :p It had good effects I guess, this time i'm going for some real story =) thanks anyway! I think I've figured it out how to make a happy ending, the key is to use misunderstanding and impatience of the characters :D