1. Trung Mai

Trung Mai New Member

How to make Writing a Daily Habit?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Trung Mai, Jul 14, 2012.

I don't know if you guys have this problem but I get distracted easily and then I lose track of whatever I'm writing altogether. I really do like wiring though. How can I turn writing into a daily habit?

2. kingzilla

kingzilla Senior Member

Write in big bunches. 1000-3000 words a time. And when you finish, leave the last sentence cut in half. That way you can start writing right away. The only other thing is organizing your self in folders.

3. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix Contributing Member

I guess the thing is discipline. Write, no matter what excuse you have not to. Turn the internet off, close all games and entertaining programs, I suppose...? I can only write when I'm multitasking, so I don't really know how it's like to have your problem. Even so, avoiding distraction and having discipline seem to be most obvious solution.

4. Kammerice

Kammerice New Member

I agree entirely with Kingzilla, except I'd tended to keep the amount I write small. I'm aiming for between 500 and 1000 words a day, everyday. Usually it doesn't take a lot of time to knock that out, and I always feel like I've accomplished something. But yeah, not finishing sentences is a fantastic suggestion.

5. Trung Mai

Trung Mai New Member

Hmmm...never thought of that before. Thanks guys!

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The same way you make anything a daily habit. You set aside a time slot for it, and you stick to it, whether or not you feel like it that day.

7. live2write

live2write Contributing Member

What is weird is I write when other's are preoccupied with other activities. I try to write at least once or twice a week. Sometimes on my way to my job I will write on my train commute. Music helps a lot to keep me motivated.

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Well, I'd say that writing, and keeping track of what you're writing, are separate issues. For now, just focus on sitting down and typing or scribbling every single day, and don't worry about the quality or cohesiveness of the product. If all you can think of to write about is your lunchtime sandwich, so be it. When the habit of writing every day is formed, move on to some small improvement, keep at it until it's a habit, and move on to the next one.

9. BastienGood

BastienGood Banned

When I start writing, I can't stop until I'm completely overwhelmed and fall asleep or until the last sentence is written. Usually I write 100-200 pages.
    I think that it depends on style of your speech.
    I like writing horrors and erotics, maybe some other genres won't make me so hard working.