1. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

Critiquing your own critiques

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Castlesofsand, Mar 30, 2009.

I wondered if anyone else does this. After you review your thoughts on a story, and I mean a critique that goes into detail, do you look back and see if advice was taken?

But my question is, do you learn from it, if it isn't? Do you go back and see if it was perhaps you who lost something, needed the working, misplaced a comma.

I try to use this system now. If one person says they can't see what i'm saying, well then its possible that they just didnt' see. If two people say the same thing, well that's cause to look at that section again. If more say so, well then it needs to be re-written, a fact is a fact. Sometimes words in the mind, don't make it properly to the fingers.

Still the same goes for critiques offered. If I think a piece in the story needs work but another disagrees, well, people disagree, they might be right, but then I might be also. If two people disagree with what I see, or understand what I don't, well then I should at least go back and try to see. If more disagree or see, well then it is me who needs to edit, not the writer.

So I try to learn from that. See how they word it, try to improve so I understand. It can only help me but its hard letting go of your own advice. Took me years.

So does anyone else try to see beyond their own advice, learn from what others' say while commenting on a piece not written by yourself? Did you find it hard to let go of your reasoning? or is it just me lol. I'm stubborn so could be.

thanks for any input.

appreciated

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I do. I look to see what responses I have gotten from a critique, and sometimes I will try rephrasing it if the writer's response seems like they misunderstood what I was saying (as opposed to just disagreeing).

Critiquing is writing too, and can be poorly expressed.

Also, I look at older reviews I have done, and see if I still agree with what I posted at the time. Some of it appears simplistic and naive in retrospect; I take that as evidence that I am continuing to learn. :)

It's useful to see the dissenting opinions too. I learn from tham as well, especially when accompanied by convincing examples (regardless of whether the changes make it into a posted revision).

3. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

Excellent. I agree. I wish to improve.

It's probably why I don't keep my old stories, I don't want to go back to old mistakes. Every so often I see one floating around and then I can see if i've improved since.

But I've learnt a lot off of writers in writing forums such as this. How to express things differently, handle dialect in a more believable way, draw in settings without colouring too far outside the edge of reason.

I've just started listening to critiques, I mean really listening and taking heed. But you learn that way. Giving them and then learning from people not taking advice, was harder. Letting go of what i thought was better but wasn't in the end.

I thought I could write good, but when i can, well, i won't need to be here.

long road ahead of me yet lmao.

thanks for your thoughts, Cogito

appreciated

4. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

When I critique someone else's work I let them tell me what they think of the critique. Just like with an actual critique, I take that feedback as a "take it or leave it" type of deal. That's how I mean my critiques to be taken. As for learning how to critique from reviewing my own critiques ... I guess I have in a way, but I don't really think about that when I'm writing.

~Lynn

5. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

well the take it or leave it is okay, but if they don't take it, what do you do? Try to see if it is your yes that don't see, or do you not worry about it?

6. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Honestly, because of the possibility that my critique style and a writer's writing style might not mesh, I only critique a bit at a time. If they decide they don't like how I critique, then I don't finish the critique. I have had people comment on my critiques about what is helpful and what isn't. I've learned a lot from those types of responses what is and isn't appropriate in a critique, so that's what I take from them. If a writer doesn't take my advice in a critique, then I just assume that our writing styles are too different or the two of us are too far apart skill wise (either they are better at the craft or I am) and the critiques just don't work. When I encounter a writer more skilled than I whom I critique, then they normally respond in kind with why my critique isn't helpful and those are the posts I learn from I guess.

7. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

Thank you for replying, interesting thoughts.

8. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Sure. I never have a problem answering anyone's questions directed at me. I've learned over the years to (normally) not take offense to much when it concerns my writing.

9. HKB

HKB New Member

I find it interesting how the more I critique the easier it is for me to see what I want to avoid in my own writing and critique myself. As I go I get better at expressing what isn't right to me about something. I'm not sure that my critiques are well received generally (I've had a few instances where they definitely weren't) but I do them for my own reasons. I figure a misguided critique is better than no reply at all. I've never had a critique that I thought was completely worthless, unless it was clear that the person wasn't trying at all. So don't worry too much about improving, you will improve if you continue.