How to move to the next scene

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Featheriel, Oct 7, 2013.

1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

For me, beginnings are murder. Beginning the book. Beginning a chapter. My tendency is always to go too far back. I've learned to cut the chaff during the edit, but I do wish I could just sail into great beginnings, like some folks can. Me? I'm good at endings. I can always wrap up a chapter or book, no bother. It's the other end I struggle with.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

A couple of years ago I used to write from beginning to end, and I always ended up with the problem that I planned future scenes thoroughly, and when I finally got there I'd forgotten most of my plans. Not even writing down the outlines tended to help me remember that moment of clarity.
    Nowadays I do as you say in your next paragraph. In one of my longer stories I have written a prologue, chapter 1, and then maybe 2 later chapters.
    In a school assignment (argumentative essay) I first wrote the third argument, then the first and after that the conclusion.

Though, @Featheriel, keep in mind that what works for us does not need to work for you, but it is always worth it to give it a try! (And this particular thing seems to work for most.)

The beginning ought to be perfect (it is the first impression your reader gets) which tends to make it quite a challenge. I think that it is tougher to come up with the contents of the "gaps" than any other part, while it is tougher to actually write the beginning.

Again, every writer is different and has different struggles and strategies. It is important that you find your personal voice, and that can only be done by writing and experimenting.

3. TLK

TLK Active Member

Well, there we go, it just proves the variety in writers, I'm generally very bad at ending! I can end chapters/books on cliff-hangers just fine, but not every chapter wants a cliff-hanger and it's those particular chapters whose endings I always find are very "weak".