Tags:
  1. MissLotty

MissLotty New Member

Novel How to name a novel?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by MissLotty, Jul 25, 2010.

Hey,

I've almost finished my novel, I've been working on it for nearly two years and I am at about 80,000 words and 20,000ish off finishing.

My problem is at the moment I have no idea what I can title my story? It's a romantic fantasy. I'd like to think it has something for everyone; sword fighting, car crashes, friendship and a touch of steamy romance. I have two working titles 'It Started with a Kiss' and 'Fully Alive' but neither of them seem to fit it just right.

Anyone having the same problems as I am? How am I suppose to find something that just fits?

Please help. All the best.

2. Tribe of Fools

Tribe of Fools New Member

There's something deeply satisfying about seeing the title of a book somewhere in the dialogue of the story. Maybe if you read over what you've written so far, you'll find that one of your characters has already named the book for you.

3. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

I concur with Tribes - go through it when finished, and something just might leap off the page at you.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I wouldn't go with "It Started With a Kiss". That sounds kind of hokey, like the name of a TV commercial for something feminine.

I agree with the responses already given - you might already have the title somewhere in your dialogue.

Alternatively, you could try Ernest Hemingway's method. He would look through a book of quotations to find something that fits. You could wind up with a nice, poetic-sounding title that way.

5. MissLotty

MissLotty New Member

First, thanks for all your comments. Minstrel- I totally agree with what you say about 'It Started With a Kiss' I've never been keen on that title (even as a working title).

I know i should leave it till im finished but there is going to be a second part - I think I might try and leave it untill im finished. I' far too excited to finish it. So I suppose I better get it finished soon.

6. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

Check out what other books of the same genre are being titled, see who your book's neighbors will be. Brainstorm, pick something that will stand out from all of those other books.

7. Something that comes off the page is perfect, IMO. I've got two titles so far, and I'm not sure which one i like best, but they are both, word for word, from the text.

Just something else I think is important. On these forums, we always talk about "copying" other authors' works. Obviously, the majority of us agree that it's not copying, but that everything is the same and new at the same time (or something like this). All I want to say is that if I am writing a book that is similar to another book (I don't know if you are) in plot, storyline, or characters, perhaps naming it something that does not support this similarity would be better. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't think it could hurt.

Good luck

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You have plenty of time, if you aren't even finished with the first draft yet.

9. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

If you have time to spend doing this--i.e., it doesn't take time away from finishing your manuscript--I'd look over song titles for a good book title.

10. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

A title should somehow capture something important about the book. It can be a character name, it can be some name of an object. It can be a combination of both.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for example.

It might be even some sort of short line that best represents the story as a whole or something important about it.

But you don't have to name it yet. Your story is still very much in the early stages.

When the title comes you will know it when you see it. Thats for sure. It will either click and be a eureka moment... or it will be something your mind keeps going back to and finding yourself finding all the ways it works(ok maybe this is entirely me. lol)

11. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

As Cogito indicated, you have a long time yet. Once the first draft is finished you will probably make at least two passes through it, maybe more.

As I look at the fantasy titles on my bookshelf, I note that most are short, two to five words.

Also consider, if you find a publisher, the title may itself be altered or changed prior to publication.

In the end, don't fret, it will come to you...maybe while you're writing, or maybe while you're driving to the grocery store.

Terry

12. MissLotty

MissLotty New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I feel better about not having a real title yet! I'll keep posted about titles when I have the ideas, but for now I'm going to get finishing the actual novel :D

Thanks to everyone again

13. OvershadowedGuy

OvershadowedGuy New Member

may have been mentioned before, but a lot of publishers do not go with the name you have chosen for your book. They have marketing experts on call for that sort of thing.