1. atsgtm2018

atsgtm2018 Member

First Novel

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by atsgtm2018, Aug 22, 2016.

I just finished my first write with my first novel clocking in at 46K. I'm going to do an edit and I think I can beef it up to 60k. But I'm wondering what kind of fiction to classify it as, to maybe have a better target word count (maybe a drama?). Maybe 60k would be fine. Here's a synopsis:

A young, ruthless, and rising Wall Street hotshot ventures back to his small suburban home town attempting to gain perspective after a deal has gone bad. When he starts to see old faces and an old flame, he sees how much things have changed and what hasn't changed at all. He must wage war against old demons, rebuild burned bridges, and hope to find a new idea to bring back to the shareholders.

Let me know what you think.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Your story should be as long as it needs to be - not one word more or less.

Judging from your description, it sounds like general fiction. But at 46K, it sounds more like a novella than a novel.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

It sounds like general fiction, or maybe literary depending on several things.

In either case, 60k is too low for traditional publishing. With self-publishing you can do what you like. For traditional, you can't really go wrong with 80-90k.

4. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

40-60k sounds a little short for the novel who have written in the description. Generally adult fiction is at least 80k. I mean look at all the books now a days, they are at least 400 pages long. But honestly don't let that get you down. There is nothing wrong with a novella and if you write two more, you can create a 3 in one book. Stephen King has one like that I believe. I can't remember the name of the compilation but it includes The Body in it.

5. atsgtm2018

atsgtm2018 Member

I have a goal on expanding this original story with a prequel and a story that takes place after this one ends. Do those target word counts stay the same per book? For a novella and novel.

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Novellas are usually hard to get published, but if you're thinking self-publishing it wouldn't be an issue.

It sounds like you have lots of story, though - you might want to look and be sure you're spending enough time/words on really bringing the story and characters to life. You don't want to belabour the point, but you don't want to rush through wildly, either!

7. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

If you make it a three book series then yes the word could for an adult novel would be at least 80k per book. You can probably work on expanding the word count as you edit or keep it a novella.