1. lyteside

lyteside New Member

Need Some Thoughts on Mechanics for a God Conflict

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by lyteside, Jan 20, 2011.

I am writing a science fiction novel with some built in mythology that permeates throughout the story. I need help with Sylmafella, the god-like being.

Sylmafella (The Shining Glory) is a benevolent divine being that has lost direct connection with his created humans, and he is zealously trying to reconnect. He still has the ability to indirectly communicate through the creation (i.e. a person can find an artifact and learn a truth just by beholding it.), but he can no longer communicate through dreams and thoughts.

Responsible for the disconnect are 5 dark beings, who only have the ability to influence people. They cannot destroy or create anything. I need a device and/or mechanic that these 5 dark beings bring about to cause Sylmafella's disconnect, but 2 conditions must remain true:

1. Sylmafella cannot appear "weak" or "tricked". Rather, this mechanic must somehow be a known risk of Sylmafella's love, goodness, etc..

2. The dark beings are the instigators, but in no way can they cause the mechanic directly. They must influence something or someone else to do it.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth New Member

As a thought, a group of humans, seek to communicate more directly with their god but are deceived. Heir god wants to help them, creates a device that tells them how to build something that will allow him to communicate directly with them.

Your dark beings suggest changes that corrupt the device and destroy what connection he did have before. Am I on the right track?

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Hmm, this originally brings to mind Biblical stuff about God vs. Satan. In that case, the devil can tempt people, put bad thoughts in their mind, stuff like that -- you could use this as inspiration, but not too much because if your story directly parallels something, it'll be predictable (at least to anyone familiar with the Bible).

Another inspiration -- and this will sound corny but bear with me -- are you familiar with "The Grimlins?" They're lovable pets, but they have 3 basic rules: no water, no bright light, no food after midnight....the first two thing will just irritate them, but the third turns them into monsters..

Maybe there are some types of rules that the humans have to abide by (try to make them unique, but not too arbitrary), and if they break certain rules, it has the power to unleash the 5 beings. Maybe each 5 beings has its own rule that can unleash it if broken.

4. lyteside

lyteside New Member

These are great so far. =)

5. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Of course not! The fault lies in the humans - their doubt, greed, etc.

As I read your synopsis, my thought is that humans have blocked God out. Sort of like tuning out the background noise at a restaurant. Or a teenager completely (and genuinely) ignorant that their parent is giving them advice.

The Dark Beings have sowed doubt that S's voice is anything more than one's one "little voice". ie, A DB whispers within a human mind "wait a minute - that's my own voice telling me to XXX - S doesn't really exist, does he?"

Maybe more directly, they have gone to powerful men and promised good things if these men lead others away from S. ie "I will tell you where your rival's camp is if you publicly offer prayer to a false god."

Hope this helps.

-Frank

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

OK maybe I am not understanding your story but could satelite TV and other communication be blocking him out? Maybe he could appear on some sort of show to get back in touch ?

7. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Maybe people can only communicate with Sylmafella if they know hir right name. This name was handed down to them in the distant past, but the dark beings have tried to deceive people into using the wrong name.

For added symbolism, the five dark beings can try to corrupt Sylmafella's name into names for money, lust, fame, fear and revenge (or pick your own favourite sins/idolatries).

8. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Another thought.

The DB need not convert everyone - only the conquerors. Convert one leader, who dulls S's influence on his people. they then pillage the neighboring village. Doubt and fear spread among S's followers, some of who start converting to the other side. After a little, DB's followers outright kill S's followers. Later, rinse, repeat.

-Frank

9. lyteside

lyteside New Member

Wonderful insight. Thank you.

Frank, its amazing how close you are to actual themes and plot aspects to the story (with little input from me).

There are indeed only a handful of people that are villains. And only villains in the sense that they are deceived, for they desire to do good and bring about good.

The primary villain (Lucien) does not have hope in Sylmafela - perhaps doesn't even believe that he exists. What is also interesting is that he is on to the dark beings. In response, the beings have fed lies to him, so that he believes if he does x, y, and z, the beings will be destroyed, and their hold on him will be gone.

If anybody has more ideas, please share! It's really helping. I have a lot more to meditate on. =)

10. Julz

Julz New Member

Hey : Lucien is a awesome villain name. (I know a Lucien and he is friendly nice guy - I should watch out I suppose)

11. lyteside

lyteside New Member

Haha, thanks Julz. ;)

12. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

The Christian idea is a bit different, but in any case - we believe that it's not that God's "disconnected" and "unable" to connect. Rather, it is the human choosing not to communicate with God, and has lost all sight of him and thus no longer think of him or love him. We've all rebelled against God through our sin. It's like the garden of Eden - Satan couldn't make Eve eat the apple, but he tempted her with lies, planted thoughts in her head, so she chose to listen to him, instead of trusting God. And made the fatal mistake of forever disconnecting man from God.

It could be that it's not that Sylmafella "cannot" communicate through dreams and thoughts, but that humans no longer listen and simply attribute His words to something else (modern equivalents: oh it's just a coincidence!) We think of everything supernatural, but never do we say "That was (from) God."

Not sure if that helped...

Btw, was the name Lucien inspired by Satan's name, Lucifer, by any chance? :D

13. lyteside

lyteside New Member

Thanks for the feedback, Mckk.

I'm a believer myself, so I'm definitely tracking with you - I see the world from that perspective.

In this story, I am trying to avoid an allegory. I'm more interested in creating a world where the mechanics of God and man work differently (but of course some themes cannot be completely divorced from my world view). The theme of how lies play apart in man's relationship with God will still be prevalent, along with presuppositions that God is good and man is depraved without him, etc.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

*edit*
    These elements in the story are mostly back end, likened to Tolkien's Silmarillion rather than Lord of the Rings. After I flesh out the mythology, I'm hoping that the actual science fiction story will come alive more and be more believable.