1. JonasGrant

JonasGrant New Member

Superpowers or Brain power?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by JonasGrant, Dec 10, 2011.

I'm writing the story of a guy trying to survive Mesozoic era creatures and biosphere, and have been wondering, which would make for a better story (in your opinion), developing feral abilities trough a system similar to this http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/08/gene-therapy-for-ultimate-human-running.html or using his wits and imagination to overcome most danger?

Basically, Jack Carver or MacGyver? (I would have said Bear Grylls, but not everyone would have gotten the idea :/)

I find the concept of a guy arm wrestling an Utahraptor quite interesting, and that of the guy wearing a ghilie suit and carefully setting up a trap for a pack of raptors is just as much, in my opinion.

2. Vuor

Vuor New Member

This is just my opinion.

It would be interesting to see him do both. Develop the feral system... but maybe at a certain point, the physical changes fail him and he has to rely on his wits and imagination again. Or vice versa, the physical changes are slow, and must use wits and imagination as his body awkwardly tries to adapt to the changes.

I kind of prefer the second of the two ;P

But if you were specifically trying to choose between one or the other, I'd go with wits and imagination. Nothing can truly compare to reading about a smart, inventive, witty character. It brings a feeling of sheer amazement when you read something particularly mentally dynamic <:

Vuor

3. YoungCreature

YoungCreature New Member

I think him having super powers, or whatever you'd call it, would be a total cop out. I like the idea of him having to outwit, outplay and outlast... I think I stole that from Survivor.

4. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Yeah, I'd prefer if he outsmarts them. That's humanity's real strength - our brains.

5. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

I think the superpowers route would have to be the way to go, I don't thunk a human would survive the atmosphere of that era. But if that's sorted out then I'd have to say I perfer the Jack Carver way of it, but a smart Jack Carver. We humans have dominated the earth by means of our brains not our brawn.