1. A lake.

A lake. Member

My writing

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by A lake., Mar 13, 2016.

I would like to talk about how I write and why I write the way I do.
    As long as I can remember I have always had a story in my head.
    My love is science fiction, philosophy is big too.
    I read, but I don't read like I used to.
    I feel my own writing needs to be pure, free of other ideas.
    I see so much duplication in movies and books, same story rehashed.
    So I try to shelter myself from the flood of best sellers and latest "hits".
    I'm not a good writer.
    I sometimes think I have no idea how to write a proper sentence.
    Sometimes I am right.
    I have tried to write in several formats, a few years ago I tried writing a screenplay.
    Screenplay format feels comfortable. I'm not sure I'm any good at it, but it feels right.
    I have read The Screenwriters Bible by David Trottier. It is a great book.
    I never completed a whole story until recently.
    I like good stories I don't think the breaking bad type of stories are great writing.
    I need to write more.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Hi, A lake
    Don't get too paranoid about making your idea free of anything else. Most everything is a reflection of something else but you can avoid a certain trendiness.

AdDIct, Oscar Leigh and tonguetied like this.
  3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Here's a good article about how to do that:

TVTropes - The Tropeless Tale

You should feel much more comfortable looking to the great fictions to inspire your own ;)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

This could be in one of our poetry threads! ;)

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

As @minstrel said, this could be in Poetry.

If that's not what you're trying for, the paragraphing is rubbish...You haven't collected all your ideas into a neat pile, and then written one paragraph about each idea.

AdDIct likes this.
  6. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

That was literally my first thought when i read his post :supercheeky::supercheeky::supercheeky::supercheeky:

AdDIct likes this.
  7. TopherT

TopherT Member

Yes, let's all mock him for his sentence structuring.

That's original and awfully brave, and mature, shouldn't forget about mature.

In the middle of his post he states that he feels that he is unable to write a proper sentence, which doesn't just pre-empt the mirth-laden subsequent replies, it mocks them.

Good job.

Tenderiser and A lake. like this.
  8. Sileas

Sileas Member

This. I'm kinda the same way. Please unnerstand it's not snobbery---its a desire to not be "mentally hijacked" by other people's ideas. Yeah, being truly original is probably all but impossible, but we can kinda half try to.....not put ourselves in situations where we can easily, unintentionally copy too much.

A lake. likes this.
  9. Fullmetal Xeno

Congrats, you're so much better than me and Minstrel cause you're jumping into conclusions. I didn't call his paragraphing rubbish and i was just joking. The valid answers have already been provided. I'm more than certain he'll diminish the occurrence very quickly and not have to worry about it anymore.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. TopherT

TopherT Member

Can I now mock you because you said "cause" (a cause is a thing or a person that gives rise to an action or a condition) instead of "because"?

How about "jumping into conclusions" instead of "jumping to conclusions"?

Nah. I'll take the high road.

11. A lake.

A lake. Member

Maybe cuz would work for him.

12. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Anyway.

I'm much the same, @A lake. It's not so much that I want to be REALLY original, it's just that I don't have a lot of imagination and I unintentionally copy other people's ideas when I write. To avoid that, I have to steer clear of reading within my genre while I'm trying to come up with ideas.

You're on the right track. Just keep writing, and with each project it'll get easier.

jannert, Oscar Leigh and A lake. like this.
  13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

You can inject originality into your story by not taking the first path that comes into your head. Whatever you think of first, go past it and think of something else. Do that for a while and you'll end up not copying anybody else.

My antagonist is pure evil.
    No he's not, he's actually rather sweet—just totally out of touch with reality.

The hero rescues a girl and they fall in love.
    No, a girl rescues a guy who was attempting to be a hero.

The warlike empire rules the galaxy with an iron fist.
    No it doesn't. It's actually democratic and peaceful, but some citizens want to change that.

14. Fullmetal Xeno

I think its better you do take the high road, you're accusing me and a well respected member of the community of something he wasn't doing. Grammar mistakes aren't really a big deal here because half of the members here make those mistakes on their writing anyway so i'm not offended or angry, just kind perplexed on why you would point that out like it gives you a higher pedestal. :agreed:

15. TopherT

TopherT Member

TE="Fullmetal Xeno, post: 1425720, member: 30638"]I think its better you do take the high road, you're accusing me and a well respected member of the community of something he wasn't doing. Grammar mistakes aren't really a big deal here because half of the members here make those mistakes on their writing anyway so i'm not offended or angry, just kind perplexed on why you would point that out like it gives you a higher pedestal. :agreed:[/QUOTE]

So, you didn't scoff at a person whose sentence wasn't structured as strongly as you are accustomed to? Ok then, maybe I misinterpreted it.... maybe the laughing smilies were of you laughing with him and not at him. Yes. Go with that.

You're a well respected member of the community? That's all fine and good, but that all hinges on who respects you, not how many.

So, grammar mistakes are fine but sentences which don't appeal to your taste is open for ridicule?

Why should you be offended or angry? I said that I WASN'T going to highlight your grammatical errors. And besides, it would be a cheap shot if I did.

16. TopherT

TopherT Member

Anyway, I'm done with spamming this man's thread. If you have anything else to say to me then PM me. But honestly, I think everything is pretty clear.

17. Fullmetal Xeno

So, you didn't scoff at a person whose sentence wasn't structured as strongly as you are accustomed to? Ok then, maybe I misinterpreted it.... maybe the laughing smilies were of you laughing with him and not at him. Yes. Go with that.

You're a well respected member of the community? That's all fine and good, but that all hinges on who respects you, not how many.

So, grammar mistakes are fine but sentences which don't appeal to your taste is open for ridicule?

Why should you be offended or angry? I said that I WASN'T going to highlight your grammatical errors. And besides, it would be a cheap shot if I did.[/QUOTE]

You must be great at parties. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Why should you be offended or angry? I said that I WASN'T going to highlight your grammatical errors. And besides, it would be a cheap shot if I did.[/QUOTE]

What laughing smilies? You mean this one :supercheeky:? That's not laughing at was not even in the context of grammar, it was about a coincidence. I don't understand why you guys are arguing. What's there to argue about?:confuzled:

jannert, Fullmetal Xeno and A lake. like this.
  19. A lake.

A lake. Member

I'm simply stumped by the weird reactions to this post.

Tenderiser, Boger and jannert like this.
  20. Fullmetal Xeno

What laughing smilies? You mean this one :supercheeky:? That's not laughing at was not even in the context of grammar, it was about a coincidence. I don't understand why you guys are arguing. What's there to argue about?:confuzled:[/QUOTE]

I'm egging it on and that's my fault, but i don't understand what he's so pissed off about. I'm just annoyed that he's accusing Minstrel of mocking him when he wasn't. I don't care what he says about me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

21. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hey, guys....

22. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

'

'Aaaayyy.