1. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

How To Spot A Smoker

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mugen shiyo, Oct 5, 2011.

I go to say something to a person and they're looking at me like I turned inside out. They thought I asked for a cigarette. I told them what I meant and then they relaxed, saying, 'Oh. I really didn't think you looked like a smoker."

I'm curious. What is the difference in appearance between a smoker and a non-smoker???

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Smoker:

Chip on shoulder
    Disregard for comfort of others

Nonsmoker:

Smug, self-satisfied sense; condescension
    Desire to make things they don't like illegal

I don't know that you can "see" these differences, though. Just look for the cigarette :D

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Often you can tell by the smell. If their clothes stink, they're probably smokers. Ride in their car. My sister is a smoker and her car STINKS! She won't smoke in the house (good for her), but she smokes in the car and the car is a toxic waste dump as far as I'm concerned.

Also, if they're long-term smokers, you can hear it in their ruined voices. Smoking causes a gutteral rasp in even the most pure, golden voices. If you're a singer, DON'T SMOKE!

4. Steerpike

What if you're Tom Waits?

5. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

People say you can tell based on the smell and the quality of the teeth. But I've gotten used to the smell of cigarette smoke on my clothes, in my hair, and in my car now though, even though I haven't smoked a cigarette in nearly six years, because everyone else does. Joys of a college town. :rolleyes: I really don't think you can tell, for that reason. And anyone who drinks coffee can have smoker teeth.

You cant tell. Who cares. I think the person said "look" but meant "seem." And meant it to be a compliment.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I love this. :D :D :D

I actually kind of like the smell of smoke, even though I don't do it myself. A lot of people I know do smoke, so it doesn't bother me and I can go either way. And as long as it's not all stale-tobacco-breath-ish....because ew.

I agree with Merc, that you can tell based on the breath and teeth, but your'e not going to notice those things unless you're right across from someone. There's no way to tell from way across a room.

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I find the little white stick with a glowing tip, that they hold in their hand, and periodically bring to their mouths to suck on, is a bit of a giveaway personally.

1 person likes this.
  8. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I was so oging to go there before, but never did Banzai!

Blokes you can tell usually by a certain buldge in their pants, where they keep the packet and lighter.

Gum chewers are another good example, usually.

Stained fingers for heavy smokers and the smell (Mind you if you go into a club you'll smell like that as well, so someone migh think you're one when you're not).

I wouldn't go the stained teeth route. I smoked for 10 years and still had fine white teeth, yet my mum doesn't smoke but here teeth look yellow (chalky teeth). So one that i'd wouldn't go there.

9. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    They're the saddo's standing out in the rain, letting the draft in, whilst muggins here is left sitting alone at the restaurant table while the waiter gives me shifty looks. They're also the ones who come strolling back in and absolutely stink the place out, putting me eternally off food.

Oh lord do I HATE that.

Can you tell I grew up around smokers and now have a bitter dislike for the very word?! :mad:

10. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Smokers are the ones who shake their heads at the word "stink" - coming from the people who bathe in perfume or cologne...:p

11. Steerpike

One good thing I'll say for smokers - at least they don't try to pass laws forcing people to smoke or business owners to have to allow smoking in their businesses.

12. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Some people complain, others smoke. ;)

Seen a few people smoking E-smokes recently. Least it's good seeing people give new things a try!

13. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

@ Steerspike, I don't smoke and I don't like being around people who smoke. Kinda like being around someone whose passing gas for about five minutes straight, only a different kind of irritation. I'm not too sure about the making it illegal thing, but certainly banning it from public places is considerate to those who don't smoke.

@ Mercurial. Yeah, I know. Just making conversation, lol, though I was curious if someone could spot a smoker. Bad teeth seems to be a good indicator. What about that combined with dry skin?

@ Bonzai, worthy of Sherlock :p

14. Blackwood

Blackwood New Member

Yes! The living proof smoking is good for creativity :)

Not that I actually smoke, but serving cigarettes at work a lot, I've come to realise they all have yellowy coloured fingernails :confused:

15. Steerpike

Yeah, public places are certainly within the purview of government to regulate to ensure enjoyment by all citizens. I don't have a problem with public buildings being declared smoke-free. But when it comes to private property, like homes, businesses, and the like, it should be up to the property owner to decide, and then up to other members of the public to vote with their feet as to whether they like the decision.

16. shadowwalker

Again, not all. I've smoked for over 40 years and my nails are as 'clear' as any non-smoker's. Ditto the teeth.

17. Steerpike

Yeah, love Tom Waits. He sounds like before every recording session he smokes a carton of cigarettes, eats a pack of razors, and then chases them with a liter or two of gasoline.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Yeah, it's all down to how well you take care of yourself, that's all. Being a smoker doesn't necessarily mean you have all these physical traits.

At least not that I've seen. I enjoy the rare pipe on occasion, but apart from that I don't smoke.

18. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Same here. I'm just not good at it, and the taste is horrid. But second-hand smoke actually smells alright to me, even though people go on about how it's "worse".

19. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Used to work with smokers in different jobs and while we were on breaks they would light up one after the other; didn't mind too much, but I would continuously remind them to think about quitting, seemed to fly right over their heads.

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I smell a bit of Bill Hicks in this post.

21. shadowwalker

No, just in one ear and out the other. That kind of thing gets old real fast.

22. lessa

lessa New Member

I am a smoker and I am very considerate of non smokers.
    I don't smoke when I am with them.
    I don't drop cigarette butts on the ground or out a car window.
    My teeth have always been dingy even at the age of 10.
    I am a singer but now only for my own and young childrens enjoyment.
    When I write I smoke. Can't think of anything to write or at least nothing comes
    together as well.
    Now the non smokers who try to make me stop smoking in my own house I am not very sensitive to.
    Had a couple hitch hikers get in and when Don lit his cigarette they asked him to put it out.
    He said they could get out. It was pouring rain on a bad stretch of road for hitching so they put up with it.
    At a big meeting where they have smoke breaks take a look at where all the non-smokers congregate.
    You guessed it in the parking garage where the smokers have to smoke.
    I asked a few why they came along and was told it is where the fun and interesting people are.

23. rainshine

rainshine New Member

I watched my dad take his last breath this August just gone. He smoked rollies up until the day he went in hospital he would be 72 in October
    he could not quit, it took three days for him to depart this world, he weighed less than eight stone, as his organs failed his body seeped in sweat as it needed to work harder to survive, he slipped in to semi consciousness, his blue eyes darkened to almost black, his legs and arms freezing cold to the touch but his heart was as strong as a lions He was not ready to go. Any smokers out there, listen. He was a business man, a musician, a mechanic, an electrician, a builder and he is not here, he lost all of his retirement being completely house bound. He worked hard all his life and COPD took it away, there is no cure for lung desease.

24. lessa

lessa New Member

rainshine
    I am so sorry to hear this. In a way I know what you are going through.
    I have lost my younger sister this past July. She died 2 days before my birthday.
    She had brain cancer and I didn't make it in time to say good bye.
    She was gone while we were still 4 hours away.
    In the last 4 years I have lost my dad, an uncle, an aunt my sister and a cousin on my mothers side of the family.
    All due to brain cancer.
    With some cancers there is a way to send it into remission but with brain cancer very little chance. All my family
    were gone in 3 months of being diagnosed.
    My dad and my sister were the only ones who ever smoked and they had quit years ago.
    If you don't smoke now then stay smart and never do.
    That is about the only advice that makes sense.
    Just remember the good things about your dad and try not to dwell on the end.
    Losing someone for what ever reason is never easy.
    luv to you and your family.

25. shadowwalker

I'm sorry for the losses anyone has had, but I really hope this doesn't turn into another campaign to get smokers to quit. I've smoked for over 40 years - the last time I saw a doctor (3 years ago) my lungs were clear as a bell and my heart (other than a congenital problem) was perfectly healthy. My mother smoked for most of her 91 years.

People make all kinds of choices, many of which are not 'healthy', whether it's tobacco, alcohol, food, drugs, whatever. The rest of us just have to remember it IS, after all, their choice.