1. beaufel

beaufel New Member

Novel How to start?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by beaufel, Jun 25, 2009.

Hello, im in the process of starting and I know i could get started on my book pretty quickly but I feel like I need to prepare for the middle and end before I start. I know how I want it to end but how do I prepare myself more? I have been told to create a outline of each chapter I like this idea, wanted to know if anyone had any more? thanks in advance :rolleyes:

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You'll find many threads on this very question, and many opinions within those threads. Some people begin with characters, some with story points. Some begin with a particular scene in mind for the beginning, middle, or end and write a framework in which to use it. Some outline meticulously, others -- like myself -- find outtlines too constricting. Some write sequentially, some skip around and pull it together later. Some complete the entire first draft before going back and revising anything, others make revisions as they go while change ideas are fresh in their heads.

In short, you have to experiment and discover what works best for you.

3. beaufel

beaufel New Member

Thanks for the advice, I am searching now for those other threads.

may I ask what steps you take before starting?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I start with an idea. sometimes with a character, in mind. The idea generally includes a general idea of where the story is headed. I turn over the idea for a while, and that will usually suggest some initial rersearch I need to do. I lean toward science fiction, and I try to be as accurate as possible, so I do often need to research elements of the setting from the start. I do take notes on research, but generally do not take notes on the story itself.

Next, I begin to form my key characters. I usually have a few necessary characteristics in mind, but I don't nail down every detail right away.

Then I choose an opening scene, and start writing. If a title wsn't already part of my initial idea, I'll come up with a working title by the end of my first writing session. Titles are always subject to change. So are character names. I don't like to alter character traits/details after they are written down, and that is one reason I don't overdefine the characters at the beginning.

The storyline shifts around as well. If I worked from an outline, I'd spend as much time keeping the outline current as writing the story, or else I'd be more resistant to making the necessary story adjustments.

But that isn't to say I don't plan. I always know where I want the story to end up, and I'm always looking ahead several stages from where I'm currently at in the writing. I just don't write it down except in the draft.