1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

How to stop procrastinating??

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Aug 5, 2011.

Ok so recently ive been really lazy and i haven't written much, but i want to and i really want to stop just talking about my work and actually doing it. I just can't seem to become motivated enough without being constantly distracted or the thought of food. For some odd reason. i can't think very well when im hungry XD. Ive been trying my best to get to work, but im always ethier interrupted with something or distracted. And when i do feel the urge to write, it's at 4AM in the morning. Ugh.

2. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

I get the same thing, I dont write until 12 at night and end up going to sleep at 3am. Ironicaly the only way to beat procrastination is to just do it, just start writing.

3. JackElliott

JackElliott Senior Member

I start the day by writing 400 words at breakfast, everyday. I don't wait to be in the mood, I don't wait for "the muse", I just do it. I treat it like a job, only I enjoy it more.

When it's really important to you, I guess you'll make time. You'll put those 95 words toward your work in progress, instead of on a forum post.

4. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributing Member Contributor

This forum is a major form of procrastination. I often delude myself into thinking that talking about writing is the same as writing. The curse of writingforums.org!

5. Fullmetal Xeno

haha that's what i was gonna add on to it too. ha. Im distracted by everybody else's ideas.

6. [Insert imagination here]

[Insert imagination here] New Member

Just voicing my agreement to what JackElliot said, try and designate a certain time as writing time. Even if you don't really feel like it before hand, if you enjoy writing you'll usually start to enjoy it once you get going. The important thing is to treat it like an appointment that involves other people. You have to turn up on time.

I'm a terrible procrastinator too. :D

Edit: Yeah, I tend to spend more time on forums relating to my hobbies than I do actually doing them. :rolleyes:

7. Fullmetal Xeno

Thanks for the tips, im looking at this in a much different perspective now. Im shoving the unfinished map in my face so i can finish what i was working on XD

8. MaggieStone

MaggieStone Member

I've slipping in and out of writing since comprehensive and only recently have started getting on with it. Though it tends to be late at night. You cant force it I suppose if you love your characters it'll be ok to miss out on a few nights sleep.
    lol Good Luck

9. Heartnet

Heartnet New Member

I totally know the 4AM feeling, I've crawled into bed before, exhausted and then had the urge to write.
    What helped me, and disregard if you're already doing it, is to treat your work like well...work. I spent summer getting up at 8am, having breakfast and then sitting down to write until 12, lunch, and then wrote again until 5. With breaks for drinks, cigarettes etc.

I'm sure you're already doing this, or have given it a go. But if not, it can work :) Just stick a tv show on, or some music and batten down the hatches :D

10. Raki

Raki Contributing Member

I've found that one of the big things in writing to cause me to procrastinate is starting a new story or chapter or just from the beginning of a piece of writing. I tend to over think how to get going and end up taking hours to do just that. If I start from a few paragraphs or even pages in, this usually doesn't affect me, and what I've grown accustomed to doing is at least tagging a beginning on the next piece of writing before I finish the night before. Sometimes I have to go back and replace the beginning, but at least it does its job and gets me rolling.

11. AJSmith

AJSmith Senior Member

That is an excellent idea. Also, I am considering writing my next novel chronologically, but when I come to a trouble spot, skipping to scenes I know I want to write and then knitting it together later.

I did this over the summer as well. It worked extremely well. I will miss it when back to work this coming Monday. :(

12. joanna

joanna Active Member

Sometimes I get myself excited to write by going on long drives. I get an idea and race home to write my story. I'll get thrilled about a character, a plot device, the way I saw a leaf blowing in the wind and hitting a car's windshield and the driver swerves -- anything that strikes me that I've got to get down.

Someone -- maybe it was Stephen King -- said you can't sit and wait for inspiration to come, you've got to chase it down and attack it with a bat.

Some other writer said he sits himself down for an hour a day and he doesn't have to write, but he isn't allowed to do anything else.

13. joanna

joanna Active Member

Posted twice -- sorry, I don't know how to delete.

14. The_NeverPen

The_NeverPen Member

I punch myself in the face. It's not something I recommend.

What I do recommend is:
    *Write a day in the life of a person. Don't worry about plot or character. Dive headfirst without thinking of anything but an emotion.
    *Give a detailed review of someone's work here on the forums, or elsewhere.
    *Play Mad-Libs.
    *Analyze a really good story that you've recently watched/read/played.
    *Do something else creative - music, painting, humming, building, staining, cooking or screwing.... urm, wood.... together... into furniture. Yeah, that sort of screwing.
    *Take a break from creativity altogether and play a mindless video game or something. Stare at the stars. Go for a hike.

People procrastinate because they're either tired, apprehensive or too stuck on a bad idea. Destroy your current state of mind and you'll free yourself of those barriers. At least, that's what my fortune cookie says.

15. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Haha, this is exactly my case too.

me too, I'm a nightwriter like many of you and now that i can't be up that late (because of work) i dont get as much written as i would normally have. I just don't feel very inspired at 6pm after 8h of work... but soon I will go back to my former job, and life (and writing) will probably be easier.

16. Darran

Darran Member

Hi,

i've got to agree with Jack. Just write! Don't worry about the quality, that can be worked later: Sit. Write. Enjoy :)

17. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

1)First of all, see if you have the ULTIMA WILLPOWA!!!! to just write. You know, the same ULTIMA WILLPOWA!!!! that gets you up from bed. Normally, you only have to get up once, because once you start, it's smooth sailing.

2)Whip out a notebook, sit there, pen poised over paper, think about your current story, explore it entirely, and anything that you haven't explored, jot down in point form, ready to be used in the actual story. By then you're already at the "smooth sailing" stage.

3)Get something to motivate you. A sketch of your favorite character beating the bad guy upside the head a, fireball flying from the hand of Gandalf the Third, or Voldemort ravedancing(if you're into fanfiction).

4)Just do random character exercises. What does Gandalf the Third do when he's not being watched? A day in the life of Bob the Blob. Benny the Battleaxe Barbarian's thoughts as Mr.Badass Moustache's bullet flies slow-mo through the air.

18. JMTweedie

JMTweedie Senior Member

As someone advised earlier, definitely forget quality. Just write the story.

I like to set a timer for a minute or two and just sit and advance my plot. If you feel like setting it for a minute or two more after that then that's good, carry on.

Pick the best time of day for you and stick to it, habits are easy to form and difficult to break.

19. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

Get entrapped in your own story so much that you simply HAVE to write it or you'll lose sleep. lol If you expect the reader to be entrapped by your writing, YOU have to be entrapped by it. You want your reader up past midnight reading your book. Well, get that effect on you as the writer. You gotta make your story your addiction.

20. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

Humans are creatures of habits. Make use of it. Set up a schedule and stick to it. It'll seem tiresome for a bit, but once it becomes a habit, you'll find it hard to escape.

21. Tesoro

If that is the way then at least I'm doing something right:) I am kind of obsessed about mine and I rather spend time in that world than my own. During rewriting I think I actually spent more time in the story world than in reality, I was thinking of it every minute of the day.

that is what I use to do too, and it works! :)

22. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

^^^^I can't say the way I suggested is the only way but I've noticed it definitely is a cure for procrastination. Slower but necessary spots in my story are harder to write, but the really intense and exciting parts seem to get breezed through a lot easier. I can sometimes write 3-4x as much in a day when I am REALLY into what I write.

23. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

That's an interesting technique.

I'm not sure that would work for me, as I would dread having all of the 'boring' stuff left to do at the end.

24. Tesoro

/\sometimes when I get stuck and don't know how to move on I just skip to the next part I'm sure about and anxious to write and it's like the inspiration comes back to me in an instant. I know it leaves me with the knitting up it all to last but by then it's usually no problem. It doesn't happen very often but in extreme cases or in a case of writers block all methods to get on with the writing again are good I guess :)

25. Hartnell

Hartnell Member

Well I must admit I have recently fell in love with Twitter and I still use Facebook and I am also working on my family tree, so yep procrastination is a bummer. It's one of the hardest things that affects my writing. Its like a gym membership, I know I have to do it but often you will find stupid little things just to stop you from going.