1. Josh57

Josh57 New Member

How to submit to a publisher (paper or email)

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Josh57, May 22, 2012.

I don't know much about publishing right now but I am writing a journal that I want to get published. I was wondering how you submit that. Do you email a word document or do you print it. And if you print it how do you attach all the pages in an acceptable way (binder clip, binder with hole punched paper or what)?

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Marge

Marge Member

You need to check the submission guidelines for the publisher you want to send it to. They’ll usually specify how they want the material sent. If they don’t, you can use a large rubber band or paper clip to hold your pages together. Definitely don’t use a binder clip or a binder with hole-punched paper.

I’m not sure if attempting to have a journal published is similar to that of fiction, but many publishers don’t accept unsolicited material, in which case you would need to get an agent first.

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributing Member Contributor

- If a publisher says they accept direct unsolicited submissions--the majority do not--they will have exact requirements, which are usually easily available on their websites.
    - You don't normally send an entire manuscript off at first. The pages you send should be numbered and have your name and the title of the work on them, normally in a header, so the pages won't get mixed up anyway. The placing of this varies, sometimes it's on the left, sometimes on the right... you need to check these details.
    - You should never punch holes in the pages, or staple them. Put them loose in a box or large, strong envelope. The details for e-submissions vary--sometimes it's a PDF, sometimes Word doc--check. Not many publishers accept e-submissions, I guess they don't want to be swamped, or have the expense of printing out stuff all the time.
    - Don't bother sending anything to a publisher if they say they don't accept submissions direct. It will just get thrown away without being looked at. You'll need to find an agent to submit it for you.
    - Your idea sounds a bit different, so first check out the type of stuff the publisher usually prints, and if it seems like they might be interested, only then contact them.
    - And never send money for someone to read/assess/print your work, unless you are wanting a vanity publisher because you only want a few copies for your family to read or something.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

good advice/info from mad... as usual... follow it!

5. Josh57

Josh57 New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

most often when they want paper copy they want loose pages, no binders.