1. Samomo

Samomo Member

How to write a great essay

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Samomo, Sep 9, 2010.

I'm taking A.P English this year and it's killing me. I have several essays and I would like to read a guide on how to create a great essay. If anyone has some tips (Not general, but specific tips) or knows a great guide, please inform me.

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

I took AP English (12th grade, AP Lit and 11th grade AP Lang/Comp) a few years ago with the hardest and most awesome teacher in the world.

PM me, I'll check it out.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I usually start with a thesis statement and then work from there. Try to expand on that thesis without rambling or going off on a tangent. Start your essay well before the deadline so that you can revise and edit. Get help from your teacher/tutor/other students if necessary.

The funny thing is that if you take a composition class in college you basically unlearn everything you learned about writing essays in high school.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are many sites dedicated to essay writing. Stick to the ones associated with educational institutions, and avoid the ones that offer "services" to help you with your essay - most of those will get you expelled if you use them.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have you googled?... that's the quickest and easiest way to find what you need... but be sure to follow cog's advice when you do...

6. art

art Contributing Member Contributor

That's a sound approach.
    And so long as you're not being a contrarian for the sake of it, if that central argument is provocative, if it perhaps subverts established positions, so much the better.