1. HelpReceiver

HelpReceiver New Member

how to write an advertisement

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by HelpReceiver, Mar 21, 2016.

hello everyone :)

im going to write an advertisement in the newspaper about me creating database for small or medium sized businesses.

but here's the catch, i live in Lebanon, and the Lebanese have a mix of excellent to a very poor English speaking population.

so this means i have to write the advertisement in a manner where it would appeal to all kinds of audience, from excellent fluent English speakers, all the way to the bulky ones who only are familiar with basic words, to the ones who have a high level of similarity to the neanderthal cavemen.

so this is what i had in mind to keep it simple.

"Creating database for small or medium sized companies"

I chose companies instead of businesses for the sake of the bulky ones

thank you for your time and reading my post and consideration in advance

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Shouldn't you have a jingle or tagline or something? Currently that just sounds like "we have soap" which is the least convincing argument for buying a soap brand in existence except for a self-defeating one. Like, just something little to make it more attractive to people.
    Manipulation, my friend, is the cornerstone and essence of marketing. Make them think and feel the way you want them to as best you can. (There's a reason why marketing execs tend to be a little bit arseholey :p)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  3. HelpReceiver

HelpReceiver New Member

so can u tell me what should i write plz lol

4. Oscar Leigh

How do you want to appeal to people? What do you want to look like? What do you want them to think and feel?

5. HelpReceiver

HelpReceiver New Member

i want to appeal intelligent, want to look like i know what im doing but equally important don't want to look like im desperate and im trying too hard

i just basically want them to phone me and buy my database

u kno i just want to get the message out there and keep it simple and small with high quality and less quantity like less words and simple

6. HelpReceiver

HelpReceiver New Member

should i write

Programmer with 5 years experience, Creating database for small or medium sized companies

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Oscar Leigh

That' a start. Really, I think i's good to ask some people you know who you think represent your target market.

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I am a programmer with five years' experience, available to create database applications for small to medium-sized companies.

You might want to also add the technologies that you have expertise in.

Though why do you care about the size of the company? If a big company wanted to hire you, would you tell them to go away?

Edited to add: I would also VERY STRONGLY urge you to communicate, if you get any responses, with more correct English than you're using in these posts. Capitalize where appropriate, don't use text speak, write your emails as if they're formal business letters.

For example, if I correct one of your above posts, it would be:

I want to appear intelligent, and as if I know what I'm doing. But equally important, I don't want to look like I'm desperate and I'm trying too hard. I just basically want them to phone me and buy my database. I just want to get the message out there and keep it simple and small, with high quality and less quantity. I want a simple message with fewer words.

HelpReceiver and Oscar Leigh like this.
  9. HelpReceiver

HelpReceiver New Member

thank you all for your help i think chickenfreak's message is the most suitable one ill use that one thank you much appreciated

10. HelpReceiver

HelpReceiver New Member

so finally i decided to write the following

A programmer, available to create database applications for small to medium-sized companies, 70455966 raffi_@live.com

is that ok ?

11. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Well, I don't know your market. Is this a normal way to hire a programmer in that market? In my market, employers advertise, not the reverse, and the specific technologies used are usually part of the ad.

I realize that you probably don't want to pay for a multi-hundred-word ad. Could you include a link to some online presence--your home page, your blog, your profile on some relevant site?

Edited to add: I'm also concerned about your apparent refusal to use correct capitalization, etc, in anything but the ad. Are you going to be able to use them when responding to any emails?