1. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

How to write an ending?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sprirj, Jul 14, 2013.

So I'm the type of person who likes to outline. My novel is so complex, I kind of have to, or I would just get lost. There is an element of mystery to my novel, and I have a bit of a twist/reveal at the end of the book. This is quite a philosophical twist though, and I'm worried that I will need to just 'tell' rather than 'show' this. With one character telling the MC the 'truth'. I also worry that this could be some what of an anti climax for a book which has been quite fast paced until this point. As mentioned the story is complex and philosophical, and I'm not sure how else to approach my ending. Has anyone had similar experiences? Any advice? Or has someone used the cliche of the bad guy telling the good guy his entire plan before the good guy wins!!!!

Urgh! Thanks!

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I didn't used to but now that I know more about writing, I hate those plot endings where someone explains everything or explains the loose ends. Doesn't mean you can't do it, lot of writers do, but I'd look for a different means before giving up and having a character explain it all.

You might consider the good guy wins, bad guy asks, how did you know? That works if it's a single reveal.

3. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

If it is philosophical, and a twist, then you may just have to explain through dialogue.