1. huskies

huskies Member

Do you tell people you a writer?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by huskies, Sep 4, 2014.

Im a stay at home mother and in my own mind a writer, as i haven't been published though i feel like a fraud telling people that i write.

Most of my time is taken up with the children but i do find a lot of time of a night to write and i feel like this is my job as i am working towards getting published and my husband is extremely supportive.

However i don't really have the guts to say I'm a writer.

Do any of you declare it?

cutecat22 likes this.
  2. Berber

Berber Active Member

Yes. I consider writing to be a major part of my identity and I don't withhold that from anyone. A runner isn't only considered such when they cross the finish line; they are the minute they start moving their legs towards it. If you write regularly and purposefully, then you're a writer. Plain and simple.

I'm in very much the same position, but I consider myself a WAHM because I'm investing my time in something I intend to profit from in the future.

huskies likes this.
  3. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

A writer is someone who writes. Simple as that.

I have told a few people about my WIP. I do not think I have ever voluntarily called myself a writer -- I simply have not encountered the context to describe myself, being too busy describing things far more interesting than myself. Except on forums where we ourselves are the topic. But if someone called me a writer, then I would agree.

One big thing for me is that I did not decide to become a writer and then look for something to write about. Instead, something found me, it convinced me to write about it, and I discovered that I was becoming a writer by definition.

By contrast, I decided to become a software developer, so I am going to school to become one. Then I will look for jobs and open source projects.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  4. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Active Member

This is only my opinion but you're only a writer if others think of you as that.

Your opinion is besides the point. I may think myself a genius , a supermodel or an arsehole. Though others may think of me as being only one of those three, and therefore they would be correct.

A writer is not someone who writes but someone who, in the opinion of enough people, writes well.

Vandor76 likes this.
  5. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Yes, I do. And when they ask me what I write, I tell them my book titles and where to get them. In saying that, I didn't call myself a writer before I published. (not sure why). It wasn't until I emailed a friend of mine to tell her my first book was live and available that I asked "does this mean I'm a writer now?"

She emailed me back with the words, "No, it means you're an author."

But like @Berber says, if you actively write, then you are a writer!

6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

messed up

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

No, but I do tell them I am writing a novel.

daemon and Poziga like this.
  8. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

There is in the UK an official tier system in operation. Most proper writers are quite suitably aware of the classifications:

v2

NO writer

A blog
    'Writing' magazine published.
    Community Press
    Fantasy
    New Writing North
    Supermarket book
    Poor people
    Illiterate

YES writer

The Guardian
    Myslexia
    The Literary Review/Spectator
    Historical Fiction
    New Writing South
    Oxford Poetry Anthology
    BBC Snow family
    Radio 4

outsider likes this.
  9. CastleEra

CastleEra Member

I personally consider that when someone calls themselves a writer they are naming their profession, as in they are getting paid or living off of writing. Unfortunately, I find that when someone calls themselves a writer they get kinda wrongly judged. How many people call themselves writers, artists, musicians, or film makers who don't have any footing in their spoken field yet. Writing is my hobby until it is helping to pay for my bills, then I'm a writer. I love writing and have a passion for it, but that's how I personally classify it.

Vandor76 and sunsplash like this.
  10. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

If I fix a leaky faucet that doesn't make me a plumber. Of course writing is much more complex than plumbing. I like my dictionary's definition: "One who writes, esp. as an occupation or profession; author." However I personally think the OP qualifies on the basis that it is a major part of her life. I don't think I will ever be a writer IMO based on my lack of full commitment to it. I admire the commitment shown in many of the members here even if they have not published, to me they are all writers.

huskies likes this.
  11. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I tell people that I write, but I do not usually specify what I write.

12. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Me too, simple as that.
    Though a friend of mine likes using a sentence "yea, he's a writer." I always feel a bit shy and weird when he says that. But I would be a liar if I said it isn't flattering. :whistle:

13. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I'd sooner die

14. cutecat22

Maybe that's because most writers/authors are said to be shy and retiring because, lets face it, writing can be a very lonely and sometimes cruel mistress. Which is why some writers don't do well at self-promotion, standing on the rooftops and screaming about your work is not something writers are comfortable with.

15. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Yep, a bit different than actors. :D

cutecat22 likes this.
  16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I tell them I'm a Russian sleeper agent flying ninja with ties to the Columbian snow-trade and a sprawling Balinese style home in Beijing replete with scantily clad, stunningly beautiful men (Bond Girl analogues) where I chillax when Interpol starts sniffing around. When they give me the WTF? face I say, "I'm a writer, silly."

;)

17. cutecat22

:rofl:

18. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    I haven't. I'm a proud SAHM and if someone asks what I do I'll say exactly that. Or domestic engineer if I get "that look" that implies my life is so easy and I must do nothing but veg and pamper myself all day. To those closest to me, they know that I write and aspire to be a published author someday but it's not a title I'd give myself to strangers or acquaintances because, at the moment, it's a hobby and only worth something to me.

19. daemon

"writer" is an agent noun for "write". What do you use as an agent noun for "write"?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  20. Empty Bird

Empty Bird New Member

People's opinion should have nothing to do with it!

If you steadfastly believe you're a writer, then you're a writer. Perhaps not an author but a writer! I would declare myself a great many of things because I practise them and I love them!

Opinions are trivial in this.

If someone asked you: "Hey, what's your job?" then I would say what I was being paid to do, but other than that...

...you're a writer through and through!

21. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I think my personality actually veers towards the actor side more than the writer side, having met with stage actors in acting workshops as well as writers in writers' meetups. Anyway, I still suck at marketing lol.

Re the OP - yes, I do call myself a writer. No, it doesn't pay the bills. No, I haven't had a book published. But I write almost everyday and it's the only thing I actually KNOW. There're many things I'm good at, but only in writing do I feel I actually know any of the techniques and nuances and can do pretty much whatever I want. I started calling myself a writer a little while after I started working on my first novel in earnest. I feel my hard work has earned me the title.

I'm also the sort who takes the term "writer" as an identity and not a profession - my profession is a teacher. So I tell people I teach English. But I don't like to say I'm a teacher because that would imply I knew what I was doing (half the time I honestly don't, but I'm getting better - I'm not formally qualified).

I'm not actually sure if I've ever said "I'm a writer" out loud to anyone though lol. I definitely think of myself as such though.

cutecat22 likes this.
  22. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Active Member

Wanker is an agent noun for someone who wanks - which is probably everyone, but I don't call everyone a wanker.

BayView, Vandor76 and matwoolf like this.
  23. cutecat22

I can honestly say, I don't wank! :rofl:

24. daemon

I grant your cleverness avoiding the question, but I am still interested in your answer: what do you use as an agent noun for "write" in the same way that "driver" is an agent noun for "drive", "typist" is an agent noun for "type", "listener" is an agent noun for "listen", etc.?

25. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Are you going to tell Michael Jordan you're a basketball player because you like to play on weekends with your friends? (I'm assuming you're not Obama.)

Vandor76 likes this.