1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Acquirements?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by OurJud, Jul 27, 2022.

I just got corrected for using the word ‘acquirements’ (as in the action of acquiring something). Poster said it should be ‘acquisitions’. I replied ‘either or’ because the definition of my choice is as stated above in brackets.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I've never seen acquirements used before but that doesn't mean you can't. Might come off as ignorant if there isn't a stylistic imperative for it, though. Those nonstandard words stick out if they don't bring some quirky, offbeat friends with them.

OurJud likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Acquirements is fine you can also have acquirings although that’s a dated useage

OurJud likes this.
  4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I've never heard of the word, and I'd be inclined to use 'procurement' which I've seen before but this may be regional or industry specific.

I wouldn't use 'acquirement' in a fictional story unless it was specific jargon used within the universe by the characters.

5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The Cambridge English Dictionary notes:

count noun Something acquired, typically a skill.
    ‘It is, in the medieval sense of the term, a masterpiece - meaning, an exemplification of talents and acquirements, offered by their possessor as a gift to the onlooker, and a proof of attainment.’

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Makes sense. Differentiates it a bit from acquisitions, which implies objects.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  7. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

It seems like "acquisitions" relates to tangible objects, whereas "acquirements" seems to relate to intangibles.

8. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

Show the context you used it in.

9. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I would have said that perhaps "acquirement" is British English -- largely because I am American and I have never encountered the word. As usual, had I said that I would have been wrong. I still regard Merriam-Webster as the most authoritative dictionary of American English, so I consulted Merriam-Webster on-line. Sure enough:

More surprising (to me, but apparently not to many of you) is that "acquirements" is not a synonym for "acquisitions."