1. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Would this be considered as kidnapping

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by live2write, Dec 10, 2013.

Story:

Rion is not your typical young woman. She was born in another Realm (lets call it Realm A), in a laboratory as an experiment to create a new type of soldier. However, she was the only female born from the experiment which caused great alarm because she could reproduce. On top of that, she was born into the Royal family. Her parents sent her to earth under the watchful eye of her step parents, loyalists to Realm A. In order to hide her identity, she was told she was ill and had to be heavily medicated.

Meanwhile Realm B, is in war with Realm A over a family dispute. Realm B discovers about Rion and goes on a manhunt to find her. Realm C who is allies with Realm A, hires mercenaries to find Rion before Realm B does.

Question is:
    If Rion were to be taken by mercenaries from Realm C, would it be considered as Kidnapping or Rescuing? Considering the fact that Rion does not know what is going on nor, why this is happening?

I would like to have the mercenaries keep her under their custody. Especially since one of them is of her kind/species, to teach her who she is and how important it is to protect her.

2. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

Legally, it's probably kidnapping. Rion might consider it kidnapping, too. But, she might change her mind when she learns the truth.

3. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Now if Rion finds out about the truth, would the relationship between the mercenaries and her be equivalent of Stockholm syndrome or just realize that everything she was told was a lie?

4. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

I thnk it would be more from the truth. Especially if she wasn't with them for long. I think it takes a long time for Stockholm syndrome to occur.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Yes, I think it would kidnapping if Rion doesn't know the truth and it would be a hard sell to tell her the
    truth without some scenes involving strong evidence. With all the young girls getting kidnapped nowadays having a kidnapper tell someone about another realm would only have a streetwise or Dr.Phil-wise girl believing she's been taken by a schizophrenic.

6. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

That, too. I was thinking they would be able to prove it to her with Alien magic or something.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Legally, it depends on the laws of the realm(s) - where she was taken from, where she was taken to, and what realms she passed through on the process.

8. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Good Point to keep in mind.

9. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Yes and no.
    She would consider it kidnapping if she has no idea what's going on, but if the readers know or at least have some clues, they won't think so.

I have a question about the plot though.
    If she was the only female in the royal family by blood, how is that even possible? I mean, yes, she could be created in a lab, but you still need a woman's egg, not to mention a woman to carry the baby.

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Kidnapping from Rion's POV.
    Rescuing from Realm C's POV.

It's pretty straight forward - you're basically dealing with two sides of the same coin.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's going to be whatever you, the writer/creator, wants it to be... you can make it go in either direction by what you write... so it makes no sense to me for you to be asking us what your characters would be thinking...

12. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Sorry I did not fill in some more information.
    Rion's mother was married into the Royal family. She did have trouble conceiving a child. Secretly her husband (Rion's Father), with out her consent signed her up to the project. The implantation of the fertilized embryo was a success and nature took over.

I do want the MC to believe she was kidnapped and the kidnappers/rescuers to know they had to do it for a reason. Throughout the story I will place clues for the MC to believe that what she is being told is true and later understand that her kidnappers were right all along.

It would not sit right with me if the character was rescued and then believing everything is true. I want the transition to have time to mature.

13. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Feels like algebra again.

I think it would depend on the laws of each realm. In some places it may not be considered as such. But if someone is taken from another place against their will it can be legally considered kidnapping.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

then you don't need to have a consensus of opinion on whether what happens is a 'kidnapping' or not, do you?

15. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

And so Rion is the only female able to reproduce on her own then. Gotcha.

16. osu45d

osu45d New Member

it depends who you ask, the people who she is taken from would say kidnapping, the "rescuers" would call it liberating and it would depend at which point in the narrative she is at as to what she would thing and you could have a progression from one to the other.

17. live2write

live2write Senior Member

With the progression I am a bit stuck. I could go to the approach that the truth is revealed, gradually, or all at once.