1. Patrick94

Patrick94 Active Member

How will I know if it's scary/thrilling?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Patrick94, Jul 15, 2011.

I'm finally, finally starting work on a novel today. It's going to be a thriller-horror (or whatever you want to call it). I had a vision of a man desperately trying to hide in a large skyscraper from someone/thing and I'm going to expand on that.

So anyway, how will I know if it's thrilling or scary? I know what's going to happen so to me it's all irrelevant garbage, but anyone else doesn't have a clue.

Anyone else facing this? Any tips?

2. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

Any horror story must be good enough such that you feel scared, even though you know what's going to happen.

It's the same way you actually feel a grip on your heart when James Bond jumps on crocodiles, even though you know he's going to survive(I haven't actually watched James Bond, but it's what's been told to me).

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Hmmm. I don't know Patrick. I feel like if it isn't creepy to you, then it probably won't be to the reader either. When I write horror or darker stuff, I try to go with things that creep me out a bit as I'm writing them.

4. superman

superman New Member

might sound stupid, but try and put some creepy music on while your writting.

I use different music depending on the scene i am writting... try some x files! lol

5. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

About the music, it's true. If you can write and listen go for it.
    I listen to tool and stuff when I write so that usually reflects on the genre and feeling of my writing. TV works well for me too. Put something on like Skeleton Stories and let the medical lingo and real past horror stories set your mood.

It's also a lot about the build-up for me. You have to make the reader NEED to keep reading that book to see what happens to the victim. Keep them guessing and don't be so fast to give explanations.