Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

How will tech impact gun control

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Feb 3, 2016.

Article, here: http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/03/this-semi-automatic-machine-gun-is-95-percent-3d-printed/

Despite how some might read the article, the "important bits" that he had to get off the shelf are not hard to make or to come by. In the U.S., I believe it is the lowers that the government tracks and heavily regulates, and that have serial numbers. He used the printer for the lower.

3D printers aren't cheap enough yet for anyone to jump aboard, but in the next 10 or 15 years I imagine they will be if they follow similar technology trends. What do you do when you're taking gun "sales," such as from dealers, gun shows, or between private parties, and suddenly people can make their own at home? We all know how effective banning the 3d "plans" for the weapon will be (e.g. not at all, since they'll be uploaded all over the internet). As time goes on, I'm guessing the guns people can make this way will get better, not worse.

So, from a regulatory standpoint, what's the best way to go after this?

2. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Active Member

Building a firearm for personal use is already legal. 3D printing doesn't change that, though the way the State Department has reacted about sharing blueprints suggests the federal government will decide 3D printing DOES change that.

If 3D printing leads to actual gun sales, then it's manufacturing, and there are already regulations in place.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Yes, but the issues aren't really the same. Most people don't have the tooling or know-how to manufacture their own gun for personal use. With 3D printing technology, it won't be long before that ability is readily available to a lot more people.

4. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Active Member

I, personally, think the issue is settled by current regulations. If every household owned a 3D printer, and every household used that 3D printer to create a firearm, it's legal. At the point the household would choose to sell that firearm, they are now a manufacturer, and that requires licensing.

The ease of manufacturing does not change the issue for me, though I accept the ease of manufacturing will very much cause laws to change.

5. Kingtype

Kingtype Always writing or thinking things XD Staff Role Play Moderator Contributor

I tell you one thing.

Regardless of the outcome in real life, its gonna be a great tool to mess with for crime fiction that is set or written ten to fifteen years now. :p

T.Trian, Cave Troll and Steerpike like this.
  6. Earp

Earp Active Member

No 3D printer required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.