How would government react to uncharted town?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Mallory, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

I like the idea where the census guy is traveling from town to town, knows the area, and then Bang this weird town that shouldn't be, is. It would make sense for him to drive in and check it out. That's a great way to avoid the whole FBI thing because no one would immediately call them or anyone else because the weirdness of it would suck you in, thus getting you stuck there.

I'm not sure about census jobs, but when I was living in Philly anyone could apply, so your MC could have an interesting backstory of your choosing.

1 person likes this.
  2. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

Yeah...so when she makes millions on this novel...I can stick my hand out for some payback...LOL

3. Allegro Van Kiddo

You may find yourself in uncharted territory.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

LOL indeed :D

5. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté New Member

I'm from over the pond, so if we found an undiscovered town I think things would be a bit different. But I hope these thoughts help. :)

I guess your town could be very rural, way out in the sticks, and that's how nobody found them, but what sprang to my mind was the town could have always been there, and people just assumed it was a district of another town, or had an identity. It could have been 'hiding in plain view'.

Strikes me that as soon as the town was discovered, the media would be all over it. People might want to buy houses there, demand could skyrocket. Politicians would flood to the town, canvassing, saying if they want the town hidden for some privacy then that's their priority - trying to get votes, a foothold in this new constituency.

There's loads of ways a town could stay off-grid, get rid of rubbish, generate electricity, etc, without any impact on local services whatsoever - luckily it's quite a trendy thing over here and you'll find tons of eco-living books where all these things are explained in a lot of detail.

I suppose there's ways a town could stay hidden from even satellite photos... what about grass roofs? Camouflage? Or they could be in the middle of a thick forest.

Hope this helps. :)

6. Allegro Van Kiddo

Mallory,

Is this a town that phased into existence mystically or is it something that people decided to make and it's just odd because of their revolutionary philosophy? If you don't want to say, that's cool.

7. Mallory

Noya, thanks for the input. Very good points. :)

Allegro, great question. I honestly haven't decided myself. There's pros and cons to each. Having it a real town would be harder to pull off realistically -- I could keep people from discovering the town, sure, but once the MC finds it and things get creepy, I'd have to find a believable way to keep him there without running off and telling the authorities. Any thoughts on this?

Having it a magical/supernatural town would have its perks -- ghosts/monsters, powers beyond human control, etc, and the MC could be trapped there more easily -- but it might lose some of its "this could be me" power. On one hand, it clears up the problems I'd face having it a "real" town, but on the other, I like the potential with this being creepy in a way that it could be real.

What's your input on this question? :)

I'm thinking I'll want to keep it realistic at the beginning, but have more outlandish things happen as it progresses.

8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

the Wickerman and Whisky Galore both films set in Scotland come to mind. There is also Brigadoon etc. It has been done to great effect set in 1950s-70s Scotland. Ghibli did Laputa and Howls Moving Castle - (think both were books first), those are set in Japan both use magic to hide. Even Harry Potter managed it to a point think about the muggles how would they react if they got their hands on Hogwarts or is it Cauldron Alley the shopping place in London etc

The reaction tends to be to enforce their rules and way of life upon the resident population - usually involves force, military action, police investigation. Greed is an important emotion on the opposite side, looking for mythical treasures.

9. Allegro Van Kiddo

Some craziness:

For years I've enjoyed reading about the Hollow Earth (fun to read) new age stuff. The idea is that inside the Earth there's another world and it's filled with these advanced spiritual beings. You and I can get there if we have reached a certain developmental level, and then the entrances will be clear to us. The same holds for the fabled city Shangri La but that's on Earth and if I recall correctly, it appears for those who are ready to see it.

So, if your city is a comment on a certain type of political/economic experiment maybe it appears for people who are ready. I've mentioned that census people can be anyone and maybe the MC is a person who has been hurt by own system and is ready for the town's system. The MC gets seduced and don't want to leave, or can't. He could be happy about this or not. Maybe he wants to leave because he'll spread their ideas.

Non-Mystical:

The MC goes into town, likes what it's about, and finds he doesn't want to leave. The MC likes it all and finds a love interest on top of it all. I know that if I found a place where everyone was on the same page with me and I met a woman who was (if single), why would I want to leave?

10. Mallory

Allegro - I just had the coolest plot revelation and it was inspired by your post...thanks dude...

11. Allegro Van Kiddo

My pleasure!

12. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Wow - things have really picked up steam, brainstorm-wise!

Maybe you could have the town be both in this world, and mystical. For instance, locals know that there is a survivalist camp back there. A few have even seen it (from a distance). The people back there keep to themselves, so much so that there's not even a reason for the FBI or ATF to get involved - no one to claim they have illegal arms, no warrant.

Besides, there can't be too many people living back there if they don't even buy sacks of flour, bolts of cloth, sugar, salt etc. How many people, realistically, can a couple hundred acres support without obvious farms and such?

BUT, the MC gets back there and things look "off".

"When I was walking out here, I didn't notice that building ... or that one ... or, wow, a big field of wheat. Where's that come from? And what's going on at that hall? There must be a hundred people there - where'd they come from?"

Perhaps the "survivalists" in our visible world are guards to keep people out &/or in.

Hmm - so, how does MC get involved?

Maybe "you've seen too much. Now come with us."

Or, "you know, you're a better person than I thought an outsider would be. Come on in and take a look around. Nobody would believe you anyway."

Could be that some in the town are looking for help from an outsider. Different factions think outsiders should not be let in though. MC is allowed to interact with some of the townsfolk to test him and see how good a person he is.

Well, just some thoughts.

-Frank

13. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

That sounds awesome

14. Mallory

why thank you!

15. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Have you ever heard of the Pennsic War?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsic_War

It's a reenactment event that lasts a little more than two weeks and occurs in Pennsylvania. (For those that don't know what a reenactment event is, think of a renasaince fair.)

10,000 people show up for this event. That's just the people involved in the reenactment event itself. That's not including tourists or anything. It literally becomes a town for two weeks, so a town suddenly popping up isn't as unfeasable as you may think. :) I hope this gives you some help with your plotting.

1 person likes this.
  16. Mallory

Thank you! :)

17. Arkitekt

Arkitekt New Member

I like the idea, and I have some thoughts!

I tend to think the story in general will play out better if the conflit happens on a more personal level. Instead of focusing on how a faceless, nebulous entity like "the government" will react, I'd identify and focus on perhaps one or two specific government agents who have been assigned to the case. What personal factors, experiences and desires are driving them and what might they have to gain from certain outcomes?

Responding to one poster who said it would be hard to pull off a gathering community of so many people in today's day and age, I say this is great fertile ground for your imagination. Perhaps the town is surrounded by some sort of imperceptible mystical border which prevents high-tech communication from the outside such as radio signals, phone, satellite, etc. Perhaps the town even draws power from a mysterious unknown power source hidden in the center of town, or in a nearby cave, which unlocks part of the mystery....

Some things to think about. If the city wants to have power (electricity) it must come from somewhere. They certainly aren't getting it from the national grid if they're not paying for it. :) Do they grow all their own food? Maybe they don't need food .... Endless possibilities.

I think you have an excellent kernel of an idea; good luck and have fun developing it!

1 person likes this.