1. Inspired writer

Inspired writer New Member

How would readers react to writers breaking out of a particular template?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Inspired writer, Jan 25, 2012.

How do I describe this. This is quite tricky. Saying I was to write a book using the basic 'hero's journey' template with the protagonist evolving in character at the end through some kind of journey. Either emotionally or otherwise.
    What if the protagonist didn't learn anything and remained the same at the end. Still trapped in a certain situation with no ending, good or otherwise.
    Does anybody understand that?
    Do you think any readers would respond to that? Or just bore from it?

2. TheIllustratedMan

TheIllustratedMan Active Member

Write it and find out.

A critic might say, "there's no character progression, no story arc with a beginning, middle, and end," but if it's entertaining throughout, the reader's not going to care. I've read a couple of books that have no resolution at the end (both Stephen King: From a Buick 8 and The Colorado Kid), but you're pretty well prepared as you read for it to not have an ending. It's a little frustrating, since we tend to like to be able to get answers, but life does leave you hanging a good chunk of the time, so why not a story?

Like I said, give it a go, then you'll know how readers would react to it. :D

3. Inspired writer

Well I'm not actually intending to sell this one as it's my first piece. But I apologise if I seem brazen for saying this. But it's a story of good friendship with a very slight homoerotic sub text. The protagonist's make to be good friends and possibly a great couple but nothing ever gets requited. But the characters never change or evolve towards the end. They never part and they never really get together. It all remains the same. I just wondered if anybody would like it. Out of curosity.

4. TheIllustratedMan

The important thing is will you like it? Just write it. Then worry about if people like it.

5. Inspired writer

Oh I love the idea. Obviously quite biased but... lol The characters are very colourful and the environment is a definate place you'd like to be. Can you post part of a story on this site? I'd love to see how people would respond to a chapter or two?

6. TheIllustratedMan

You sure can, but you need to critique other people's work before you can post your own. I think that there might be a post count limit/waiting period too. Check out the Writing Workshop, read the rules, read some other folks' work, and give them some constructive feedback.

Welcome, and enjoy!

7. Inspired writer

Thank you. I appreciate it. I wonder if they'll accept Scripts also. Got some ideas for some sitcoms and movie scripts. But I'm guessing that's probably pushing it. The musicals are definately out of the question. lol. Thanks again.

8. TheIllustratedMan

There's a whole section for scriptwriting. Just make sure that you do it right, or someone named "mammamaia" is going to come around and tell you how wrong you are. :D

9. Inspired writer

Lol. I hope not. I'm not quite sure if I could handle the cast of that show on my door step. Besides my shows are completely original. Just unsure whether they're any good. But I'll have to see. Another good concept but no actual story yet. lol. But Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Anyway, thanks again for the advice. It's all been definately noted.

10. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

I find it quite hard to spend an entire novel with a character who is still in exactly the same spot on page 400 as they were on page 1. Even if it's a romance and the MC starts out without a boyfriend, goes thorugh some disappointing relationships and ends up with no boyfriend, I think you would at the very least have to show that the experience has enriched her somehow, given her a new insight or perspective, or helped her realise what she wants and how to get it. To have her just go back and make all the same mistakes over and over again would make her a) pretty dumb and b) unrealistic.

Life experiences change people, for good or bad. If your MC experiences life without being affected by it, you have to question whether they have some kind of psychological disorder.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i only do that if things ARE done all 'wrong'... :rolleyes:

and since you'll be writing for the uk tv market, i'll leave it to your fellow uk-ers to do the nit-picking, iw...

12. Inspired writer

It's not actually a romance. There is some inclination that there could be some blooming but nothing happens. It's more of a test of friendship and one helping with other overcome his tragic social flaws. I'm just juggling with possible ideas at the moment. I'm not sure if it'll work myself.

13. Inspired writer

Well if it doesn't get aired; I'll let you go with full force. lol. Was is in at the moment? Silly satire or the drier variety?

14. Kesteven

Kesteven New Member

I agree with Kallithrix, having no development would be plain unrealistic. Even if all that happens is that the characters realise that they're probably going to be trapped in this situation for the foreseeable future and come to terms it or, if you want to be depressing, leave it unresolved and drop hints that they're slowly heading towards some kind of massive blow-up. Or just say they've discovered 10,000 ways that won't work and leave it at that.

Often the best stories shun the dramatic, 'now all my problems are solved' climax and go for subtler resolutions that leave everything basically how it was at the start. But there's always room for some development.

15. jc.

jc. Member

I think it's okay for a character to end up back at where they started, as long as their perception of the situation has somehow changed. Idk. As long as there's a point to the story, why the heck not.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since it'll take a long time for you to write it, and even longer to get a new tv show sold and produced, what is 'in at the moment' is meaningless, since it'll probably be 'out' by the time anyone sees your proposal...

17. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Usually the characters who fail to grow in some way, are perceived as antagonists or villains. To say the least, readers tend to feel antipathy towards them, even if they are supposed to be totally heroic.