1. LottieLab

LottieLab New Member

Joint effort!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by LottieLab, May 2, 2012.

I started writing another story yesterday, and my older teenage brother read it. He said it was just like other stories for girls my age. I told him I wanted to write fantasy, but couldn't because of how detailed they have to be! So I asked him if he would help, because he's full of nutty but realistic ideas:D! He said yes, so I was thinking that he could invent a few ideas and I would come up with a few more and fit them all together:). He's a Terry Pratchett nut, so he's got plenty of inspiration:rolleyes:! It could be kind of fun:D! Anyway, is this an ok idea for writing a pretty good book?

2. gothiclilmonkey

gothiclilmonkey New Member

There's always the possibility that your writing styles could clash, however I've read plenty of good books that were co authored so I see no good reason you shouldn't at least give it a shot and see how you work together.

3. LottieLab

LottieLab New Member

Ok, thank you! My brother isn't the best writer, so I'd probably do most of the writing - unless I was ill with writer's block:p! He'd be happy with just brainstorming, I think. I said I'd put his name in small print in the acknowledgements:D! But he demanded a front page:rolleyes:!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Never collaborate without a contract. However, it sounds like both of you are too young for a binding contract. Still, I can see the possibilities of a sibling feud without a clear statement in writing as to who is responsible for what, and who owns the piece if you decide you can no longer stand the sight of one another, or if one of you wants off the project for any reason.

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Maybe some help to get the thought process started and make the ideas flow is all that you need. I'd say it's a good idea, especially considering how young you are. It's not like a collaboration with someone outside the family, but even if it was, I think in your age it shouldn't be a problem stopping you from writing.

6. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Depends what you mean by 'for writing a pretty good book' - pretty good for a personal project to show your friends and family, or for publishing? I would forget about the latter for a while, and just have fun with it.