1. Ldub20_Owl316

Ldub20_Owl316 New Member

What can be this character's (see below) motivations?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ldub20_Owl316, Dec 25, 2013.

She is a college junior coming off of an improbable sophomore year. The school year is the 2019-20 one. Her specialty is music. Music is also something her dreams revolve around. She is a singer. But as a student at a college (I'll only mention its name if you'd like to hear it), she's had to overcome rejection after rejection. Between 2011 and 2017, over 10 musicals reject her. In high school, every time she auditions for her school's elite choir, they choose other people, people that she thinks she's better than (a weakness of hers--comparing herself to other people). Only when she's a junior and senior in high school does she land a role in the school's musical. As a college freshman, she can't make it into the college's elite choir. Likewise, people she can't stand--egotistical prima donnas and popularity-hungry students--make it over her. Another weakness of hers--her vindictiveness. She even tries to convince this college, which is one of the top music colleges in the country, to implement a show choir, which doesn't exist at the college. As a sophomore, they finally implement the show choir and find it is a success, as many talented singers/dancers/band members make it in. They try out for a show choir competition featuring other colleges and surprisingly win that competition and several others before taking the national competition and toppling other snobby, more experienced college show choirs (the villains during her sophomore year). Because it is a huge, nationally-televised event, the Dazzling Vibes, the show choir the female lead is part, become celebrities. Because she, while not being the best singer or dancer, is the hardest worker, the show choir thinks of her as the leader. Now she, as rest of the Dazzling Vibes, face new challenges since they are on top entering the 2019-20 school year. What kind of challenges could they face? And what kind of villains could they face?

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Sorry, but this is where being the writer comes in.

3. BrandonrockstheAM

BrandonrockstheAM Active Member

I agree with shadowwalker. However, if you're looking for ideas, then I could provide a few.

Perhaps a really good member of the Dazzling Vibes is a troublemaker/gets in an accident, and the group loses one of its best talents? Will our protagonist have to push the team harder to make up for the loss? Will the protagonist have to convince the school to let the troublemaker/disabled student stay in the group?

Are funds getting tight, and the school thinks the Dazzling Vibes would be the most easy thing to cut? Will our protagonist have to convince the school's principal to let them stay? Will they have to come up with a fundraiser to raise an insane amount of money?

Will a couple of our protagonist's old "enemies," (the egotistical and popular people mentioned earlier) grow jealous and start their own group? Will they be rivals, and the school has to only have 1 group?

Will the protagonist be entered into some Talent Show, and falter in her singing? Will she be voted off the group?

Remember, this is your piece of writing. The new challenge could be that a zombie apocalypse is coming, I don't really care, as well as it's executed well.

Allow me one question thought. Why is this set in the future? Is there something important to the story that doesn't exist in our time period, that can't be done anywhere but in the future?

Just my thoughts. Carry on and write on!

4. JayG

JayG Banned Contributor

“They can’t yank a novelist the way they can a pitcher. A novelist has to go the full nine, even if it kills him.”
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

Your character's motivation is the inciting incident and what s/he is forced to do by external events or a bad decision that may have seemed good at the time. We don't create a character and then follow them around with a pencil and paper, recording what they do. That's a chronicle, not a story. A story, at its most basic, is about regaining happiness. Someone is knocked out of their comfort zone and will spend the entire story trying to in some way regain stability and predictability—happily ever after, so to speak.

One way of setting things into motion is to take two people who have mutually opposing needs and put them into competition, one where neither one can back out. Robert Heinlein claimed that's how he plotted his novels.

If you've not dug into the structure of scenes and stories, it might be a good idea to do so.

5. Ldub20_Owl316

Ldub20_Owl316 New Member

Sorry this is coming two weeks later but I've got an idea: I can have a new member enter in Sarrah's (the name of the female) lead junior year. She can be a sophomore transfer student whose talent and musical knowledge make her a threat. She tries to usurp Sarrah as the influential leader of the Dazzling Vibrations.

6. graphospasm

graphospasm Member

The stuff you've outlined sounds like a plot to me. What happens after your main character struggles and achieves her dreams sounds a lot less interesting than what happens afterward. I'd focus on developing her initial struggle. Only after you pen Volume One can you begin work on a sequel...

Also: Watch Glee.

7. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

And pitch perfect. Thats about choirs and have an antagonistic choir in the mix.