1. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

Hello to all.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nippy818, Mar 30, 2014.

Hello, my name is Nick. I am currently trying to change my writing style around. In the past I wrote mostly comics and darker comedies. I am currently trying to write a sci fi novel and hoping to get involved in a good writing community.

2. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Hey, Nick!

Welcome to the forums. We're glad to have you. Please be sure to have a look at the Forum Rules so you know how we function. We have a great community, full of diverse and active members from around the globe. Feel free to explore, ask questions, and get involved in all kinds of discussions. If you have questions, you can also look through our FAQ or simply PM a moderator. They're always happy to help.

(BTW, I'm just a regular member, I just wanted to beat the mods to greeting you. :D)

So, what brings you to novel writing from comics and dark comedies?

KaTrian likes this.
  3. AndyC

AndyC Member

Hi, Nick. Welcome, I hope you have a good time here.

I'm also curious, as @Andrae Smith asked. What brings you to novel writing from comics?

4. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

I started in short stories and poetry. A good friend of my suggested that I should try and write a graphic novel. We managed to publish 2 graphic novels before we started school and ran out of time. My biggest issue with writing comics was the amount of detail that goes into writing a comic is never read by anyone but the artist. If the artist does not see the world the same way you do it gets bothersome. Writing a 65 page graphic novel easily took 200+ pages between dialog and detailing the the world you are trying to create a novel seemed like a fun transition.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Nick,
    Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place, I daresay ;) There's a lot of discussion here about different genres, writing styles and techniques etc. to support you with the transition, if needed :)

Andrae kindly gave you the rule and FAQ links already. Check 'em out and have fun :)

6. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

awesome. exactly the community i am looking for