1. Monanniverse

Monanniverse New Member

How's my plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Monanniverse, Dec 13, 2010.

The plot for Father and Son is so:

Roswell Friday has been instructed to assassinate this family, he kills the wife and husband but can't find the kid. The kid, who is a teenager, then tries to find a new home, meets Roswell and the basic father and son relationship is formed and evolved from here through a daily assassin's life.

Could you guys help me find out daily father and son activities and 'spice them up a bit' for me? :)
    Thanks.

2. JetMasta

JetMasta New Member

Fishing
    camping
    building a car
    hunting
    'catch'
    playing video games

hope that helps

XD

3. Monanniverse

Monanniverse New Member

Indeed it does.

4. write_star

write_star New Member

There are a lot of different things that fathers and sons can do to build a relationship. One of the things that my brother/father do is go on a really long car trip. Somewhere, along the way, I'm assuming it will come out that the man really did assassinate this young boy's family. Be prepared to address that issue (which I'm sure that you are.) Remember, if the man did assassinate his family, his lifestyle routines are going to be different then that of a normal activity. Some other activities might include gun cleaning and teaching the kid how to fire a weapon. I like JetMasta's list of ideas. You might check out the Supernatural show as well for some ideas.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

What about stuff like teaching the kid how to carve/whittle, tie good rope knots, use hunting knives etc? Also, outdoorsy stuff like building a doghouse (if there's a dog) or doing construction.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Reminds me slightly of the movie "The Professional," in that an assassin/hit man is taking care of a kid whose parents have been killed (though not by him in this instance).

7. Pook

Pook New Member

Maybe they could build a car together?

This will allow time for reflection and show a level of dexterity and perseverance :)

8. Monanniverse

Monanniverse New Member

I like this idea.
    I originally planned for a dream to explain it all, but I could probably rework somethings.;)

9. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

Don't, please, don't use dreams to explain key plot elements.
    And building a car... is a common activity between a father and son? News to me.

DIY is a good thing too.
    Oh and booze... Beer is good (love that song!). Though a more "sophisticated" character would drink "Single Malt Whiskey from the Isle of [Insert Name Here]".

10. Donal

Donal New Member

Sports is a pretty common one. Whether its on tv, going to games, or playing together.

11. Monanniverse

Monanniverse New Member

sorry, my previous stories had flashbacks explaining things. I will not use dreams to explain my points. But I will probably use them to emphasize my point. :D

12. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

If the guy's an assassin, he probably has some pretty good techniques. Maybe put in some things like the son aims a toy gun... or real gun at a shooting range (depending on how old he is) and the son can't seem to hit whatever he's shooting at, so the assassin gives him a few tips. Or after they're done fishing, they want to cook their catch, so the assassin teaches the son what knives are best for cutting the flesh and what parts are good to eat, etc. To the father, these things would just seem like common knowledge in his field, but the tips change the son's respect for the assassin little by little, whether it's more or less.

13. Newfable

Newfable New Member

Agreed with tristan.n on this one. Having common, and maybe even cliche, father and son activities would be best. Spice in there the "father's" mannerisms dealing with assassination (getting too into video games or criticizing their lack of realism, spreading butter on toast with a hunting knife, being over critical of aim and form at a shooting range, getting way to into a game of laser tag or paintball, etc.), and you've got subtle character development and plenty of opportunities for tension to rise between father and son alongside the aforementioned dramatic irony between them already that'll work quite well I'd think.

14. Monanniverse

Monanniverse New Member

I thank you guys,
    I would never have had these ideas without you guys. Thanks. =)