1. hylonome

hylonome New Member

Hi! =)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hylonome, Sep 19, 2014.

Hey everyone, I'm not really sure what to put here so I'll just put this.

I'm from England and for a long time now I've just wanted to write. All day. Just escape into another world and create worlds for other people to escape into as well. I thought by joining a forum I could improve my writing skills and be that bit closer to achieving my dream. Maybe I could make a few friends too =)

I like to write (obviously =P), sketch, bake and play my clarinet, mainly. I love spending time with animals and reading the works of many writers, especially Edgar Allan Poe. I'm into a lot of music, but I love rock and classical especially.

That's me in a nutshell, please tell me who you are in a nutshell =)

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

Here's our New Member Guide to get you started. :)

I'm also a fan of Poe... Any story of his that you like the best? I must admit I can't choose... 'The Tell-Tale Heart' is one of them, and 'The Masque of the Red Death', of course...

See you around! :)

-Kat

3. hylonome

hylonome New Member

Thanks very much, I love The Tell-Tale Heart too! It might be a cliche by now, but The Raven is also a favourite of mine :)

4. KristinJames

KristinJames New Member

Hi! I'm new too, but didn't post an introduction. I hope you'll enjoy the forums and posts here, they're quite interesting, especially some of the debate forums!

I, much like yourself, come from England and enjoy the works of Poe. I also love Stephen King and Lovecraft (don't tell anyone, but I also enjoy Fitzgerald). I play video games too much and currently study history and English literature a lot. Other than that, I write literary articles for magazines, run my own blog and I enjoy dressing in a Japanese style known as 'lolita' (nothing to do with the book!).

5. hylonome

hylonome New Member

Awesome, hope to see you around, Kristen =)

6. Jaro

Jaro Active Member

Welcome to the forums! I'm a big fan of horror, myself. Especially from the likes of Bently Little and Richard Laymon. Simple, but very creepy stuff :)

7. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Imagination, stories, are what allow us, (dreamers, writers), to survive the tedium of reality. The impulse to write all day is understood, possibly envied, by many here. It is a compulsion, addictive. To see how far you can get, to live through another's senses.

I balance a love of horror and fantasy with historical fiction and...(hangs head)...romance novels. Austen, Heyer, McCaffery, Wilson, Gabaldon, and Auel stand side by side with my Poe, Duma, Lovecraft, Burroughs, and James. You won't catch me reading Wuthering Heights again for any amount of money.

Music is the the muse for some, a bane for others, for me it is one of the steadfast constellations. Soundtracks from countless movies, the unlikely classical group Two Steps From Hell, alternative rock, and bubblegum pop, and even some techno are part of my library. No matter where I am, I always have music going. And Avenue Q has some lyrics that sum up a good part of my life: 'What do you do with a BA in English?'

And as far as animals go, well, the world would be a sad place without them and I would never get any proofreading done. My patient canine listens tirelessly as I read aloud to edit...

Welcome to the forums. Check out the boards, the contests, and the RPGS. This is one of the better and more active writing communities I've encountered.

8. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Hi, from a fellow Brit!