1. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributing Member Contributor

How's this for a title?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Commandante Lemming, Dec 22, 2015.

So, I've been going back and forth on a title for some time with my near future novel about reporters covering the election of a Pope, and for reasons internal to the story I really wanted the title to be a Bruce Springsteen lyric. I was thinking "Runaway American Dream" but that's already taken for a non-fiction boom about Springsteen. So now I'm thinking about...

"Mansions of Glory and Suicide Machines"

That's also a Born to Run reference and it gives me a bit of a religious note...but my suicide machine is a dysfunctional TV network rather than an actual machine, which with speculative fiction might be a problem. That and it's a bit long (but not longer than "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"). Thoughts?

2. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

It's better not to use song lyrics, bits of poetry or anything else still under copyright.

If you want a title that quotes someone, look at Shakespeare. He won't complain.

But it's even better to be original. And it's a good creative exercise, too.

CGB likes this.
  3. Commandante Lemming

There's a reason it's lyrics. I'm not being uncreative. Pop culture and the impact of music on society is a major plot point. Copyright is a concern I'll deal with later but I'm doing it on purpose.

4. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

Its hard to say without knowing the full synopsis of your book. Mansion of Glory might work, Glory being a word used in religion a lot and Mansion can refer to the Vatican

5. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

It is longer. Yours has eleven syllables. "Do Androids Dream..."only has nine.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  6. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

It's off track and it may have been used, but you know when they elect a pope the Vatican gives updates via a chimney and the colour of the smoke that issues. Black smoke - no pope. White smoke - pope.

So have you considered "Holy Smoke"?

Cheers, Greg.

AASmith likes this.
  7. CGB

CGB Active Member

I don't like it at all

If I was browsing amazon and saw a book with that title, I wouldn't think it was a novel (I'd assume it was like miscategorized) or more likely I would just think it was probably a goofy story.
    I can't really explain why in detail, but you wanted an opinion, so there's mine.

123456789 likes this.
  8. aj*colher

aj*colher Member

There are other options from that song that aren't so long...

The Bones From Your Back
    Out While We're Young
    Lonely Rider
    If Love is Wild
    Scream Down the Boulevard
    Everlasting Kiss
    Last Chance Power Drive
    The Madness In My Soul
    Tramps Like Us

That song's loaded with possible titles. I think "Mansions of Glory and Suicide Machines" is a bit much. Obviously you're not sure about it, hence this post, but if you do decide to go with it as it is, more power to you. Longer than most = different to most, and different can sometimes = great. Standing out is the best way to get noticed after all.
    If you want some more suggestions from other Bruce songs, I'd be happy to help look :)

9. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Speaking as somebody who has nipped in to your story ...I'm not sure that the title does it justice. Mind you, I am TOTAL crap at titles. But I was thinking ...if I saw that title would it give me any clue about your book? Not really. I think it might be one of those titles that might make sense after somebody has read the book, but not before. It's not a bad title (and I don't care how long it is), it's just that it doesn't convey anything much. And I don't think it's intriguing enough to make people want to buy the book to find out, either. I'd keep working at it, if I were you. Maybe continue to scour Springsteen's songs for more ideas? You'll know it's right when it hits you right.

Commandante Lemming likes this.
  10. Commandante Lemming

Yeah I'm not particularly fond of it after giving it time to marinate.

The current working title is "Prodigal Daughters" - which pretty much describes every major character other than the Pope. But "The Prodigal Daughter" is already a major political novel. An earlier working title was "Millenial Reign" but that one got firmly spiked by the writing group.

Then I got the idea of using lyrics from my brainstorming songs to label the three parts within the book, and this book I assigned Springsteen (the next one if it holds would be all Pat Benatar). But we'll see if I can't find something better. But it's close enough to done that it's going to need an actual real title soon :)

11. Commandante Lemming

I actually considered Tramps Like Us but the setting is too high gloss :p