Tags:
  1. mooeypoo

mooeypoo New Member

realistic science fiction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mooeypoo, Oct 30, 2007.

Hello there.

Well, I'm new, so I guess this is my first stop in the forums - a short introduction of myself... I guess I'm an aspiring writer, though I never really considered myself that - I just love writing. I am only starting to write stories in English now that I'm in the US; my previous works were mostly hebrew.

Anyways, I'm a science-minded person, studying my way to astrophysics. I am a strong supporter of *realistic* science fiction - science has a lot of really awesome and incredible things, and if a story plays on real science (from the small to the large details) as much as possible, it makes the reading experience a lot more realistic.. so, if anyone has anything to ask about what could be realistic in sci-fi - particularly *space* (my studies), I'll be happy to help.

Other than that I just hope I won't offend you with grammar occasionally -- my english is quite good, but it's not my mother tongue. I am still practicing... be kind :p

There. That's it about me. Nice to meet you all... ;)

~moo

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to our forum. Please visit Noobie Packets! - Writing Forums to get further acquainted with the rules and features of the site.

Hard Science Fiction. That's what I've always heard it called anyway. We're here to help with any aspect of writing, so don't hesitate to ask. In addition, you may want to visit the Spelling, Punctuation, and Grammar (SPaG) section of the forum -- could be quite beneficial.

3. mooeypoo

mooeypoo New Member

Yeah, "Hard Science Fiction". I hate calling it that, though.. it sounds like it's actually HARD to do ;)

I'm an advocate against easy-to-avoid scientific mistakes in movies and stories (I'm actually part of a *group* that does that, can you imagine? ;) so that subject is quite close to my heart.

And I definitely did check the forums above. Great resources, thanks :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello mooeypoo, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

I too am a proponent of putting the science back into science fiction, and I look forward to volleying ideas with you. I do find it encouraging that most television SF these days uses technical consultants with at least a high school level of scientific knowledge - ships no longer suffer decaying orbits as soon as their engines are offline!

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

5. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Yeah, so uhh, welcome. Enjoy it here, don't eat the cookies, and no genetically mutated dogs allowed. Or whatever. Just keep checking in with us.

6. mooeypoo

mooeypoo New Member

Yeah, you know I keep being frustrated when I see bad science in movies and stories. True science has so much to offer in terms of drama and action as it is, there really is no need to twist it to create 'better' plots.

The best example I could think of is the misconception of space-exposure:
    Usually people think that if you're in a spaceship and you get ejected out to space (accident, murder attempt, whichever suits the story) their body explode from the pressure changes. Truth is, however, it won't. Not immediately, anyways, and it won't necessarily result in death, either. In "battlestar gallactica" they actually made an episode *more* interesting by playing on the true side of science (the characters had symptoms of deep-water divers, which is more than logical for people suffering from rapid pressure changes).

So when I see bad science for the sake of better "effects" or better "shock value" I usually scream. Then I stop reading. And scream again ;)

Anyhoo, thanks a lot, and I will most definitely read works. I don't have a lot to offer for now, either, I just started with English, and I'm trying to improve myself before I show anything to .. well.. anyone.

~moo

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Interestingly (or not!), I've had a story idea bouncing around in my head the last few days about exactly this kind of scenario. But why anyone would expect a body to explode or balloon out with a 14 psi pressure differential is beyond me. And yet they think nothing of a diver holding his breath and shooting for the surface from 100 feet down!

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Hey, welcome to the fourms.

9. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Hello there
    I'm also a fan of hard sci-fi, although I'm willing to let details slide if I need to for a story. I hope to see you and your ideas around the forum.
    Cheers

10. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

You've lost me on your pressure chat but that won't stop me from welcoming you aboard our ship which orbits with minimal turbulence. Hope to see you around the site soon.

If you are interested then we run a short story contest which you'd be more than welcome to join in on - here's this week's contest link Short Story Contest (12) - Theme: Halloween - Writing Forums

11. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Heya! Welcome to the site :) Hope you're settling in alright.

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum I hope you have a great time here with all of us and I look forward to seeing your work around the boards.
    Torana

13. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

Dear Writer,

Welcome to one of the fastest growing writers forums on the web. I’m sure if you hang around long enough you’ll begin to make new friends and enjoy becoming a participating member of the writersforum.org. I am sure that you as a new member will bring something unique and valuable to the forum, as well as find it an interesting and wonderful place to explore and learn more about the wonderful world of writing.

I have been away for awhile myself, and unfortunately have not been able to keep up with greeting the large influx of new members personally. Please forgive; except my sincerest and belated welcome to the forum.

Cordially yours,

Trailer Trash

PS: Sorry about the canned welcome, but there are just so many new members that it would be an awesome task to send persona greetings to everyone.