1. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

Novel One novel or two...?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by _Lulu_, May 29, 2011.

Hi guys,

I have two very different novel ideas, both have plots and characters. One of them still needs a little plot planning but I know the core of it.

Do you think it's possible to write two at the same time or do you think it's best to finish one then go onto the other?

I have written short stories and poetry but never a novel before so I'd really appreciate any advice, tips and suggestions please.

2. HotfireLegend

HotfireLegend New Member

It depends whether your ideas can get confused between two things easily!

3. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

There are people who write three or four novels at the same time, but they're professionals who don't have t worry to place their first book, if you aren't published I'd suggest to concentrate all your efforts on one novel first, unless the two stories are somehow related.

4. Patrick94

Patrick94 Active Member

You should probably write one and then the other, but if book 1 gets boring you can go onto book 2, who knows, maybe 2'll give you inspiration/motivation for 1

5. Jonp

Jonp New Member

I get muddled with just one book. I always have to go back and check character names and so forth. I think if I was writing two, it would only double my confusion.

Of course, if you're more organised than me (which is easy) then you may be able to manage it.

6. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

^^ @ Jonp - I have a notebook beside my bed which has all sorts written in it from important phone numbers, directions, shopping lists and poems to notes on both my books all on pages next to each other!! The joys of having an active mind when trying to sleep!! :D

----

It's two different era's, cultures and plots so I know I won't get confused on that part. I think, perhaps as it's my first I might not put as much attention into it if I'm doing both at the same time.

Unless perhaps as you've said it's probably better to focus on one, then I can just add notes to the other one as and when new things come to me. I suppose this will keep the second one fresh and I'm not completely abandoning it for me to risk forgetting it.

7. LaGs

LaGs Banned

Lulu, i have a proposition.

writingforums.org is awash with creative people, with lots of ideas for plots. I am not one of them. As a writer i can never think of what to write, never mind come up with an idea for an ENTIRE book.

Would you be so kind and give me one of your plots for a novel since you already have two of them? Thanks in advance. :)

8. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

LOL!! Nice try LaGs, nice try! but my answer is NO :p

I think I suffer from the opposite of writers block which I guess is writers overload, perhaps?

But then, this quote sums me up quite well - "If I'm trying to sleep, the ideas won't stop. If I'm trying to write, there appears a barren nothingness." - Carrie Latet.

9. LaGs

LaGs Banned

BOO YOU!

Some day i might come up with a semi-coherent novel, some day lol..

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Write one at a time. You may have two ideas, but you won't know which is the more fruitful until you have one written. Besides, writing is a learning process, and you will learn lessons from writing the first that you will apply to subsequent works.

11. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

That thought hadn't even crossed my mind. You're absolutley right, thank you :)

12. EdFromNY

Glad to have been of help.

13. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

I think you should start with just the one novel, because I think you'll find that part of the two novels end up in the same story anyway. A novel often has more than one plot at a time - and although you don't want it too confusing, you don't want it too boring either.

Good Luck - A thousand good lucks actually. I've never written a book, but just thinking about it seems a whole nightmare full of work! (Or not so nightmarish, but you know what I mean.)

14. NexAnomaly

NexAnomaly New Member

I think it's very doable to write two things at the same time. There are many authors who publish books that were started years before. Sometimes they get bored, scared, or simply writer's block and start on a new novel. Steven King writes author notes at the end of books explaining that he started on a book a long time ago, got side tracked, and then finally got back around to finishing the novel.

But, even if you choose to write just one of the novels first, make sure that you leave yourself detailed notes, because you may forget small, but very important details.

15. JeffD

JeffD New Member

I say stick to just one book at a time. Although my opinion isn't more important than anyone else.

It's frustrating while I'm writing my book and simultaneously coming up with ideas for a sequel and a prequel at the same time haha.

16. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

Thanks for your advice everyone! it's much appreciated.

I think I'm going to concentrate on one and see how I get on writing it, if I come to a halt with writers block or something then like Stephen King, move onto another one :p

I'll still keep the other one fresh and add all the small information that comes to me for it because I do forget quite easily.

And... Is it wrong, I have just written a brief outline for a third *face palm* (Unlike the other two, I'll just keep the brief with no characters yet).

It's like a bus... You wait for one and none come, then three come altogether!! :rolleyes:

17. Protar

Protar Active Member

I'd suggest writing one at a time. Even if they are distinct stories confusion is easy. But if you get writers block with one and really can't continue then you should move on to the other book for a bit. Keep those creative juices flowing.

18. EdFromNY

Noting your ideas is different from writing two or more at one time. Ideas come to you at odd times, and making quick notes so you don't forget is good practice.

19. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

If you're already sort of working on 3 there's no reason to stop and force yourself not to write. :p Do as much as you feel comfortable with. I keep many projects on the go but often I'm only dipping in and out of a couple while focussing on a main one... Other months I'm crazy and actively try and write six at once. Occasionally I gain focus and write one main novel and nothing else. :p

20. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I recommend one at a time based on personal experience. Unless you're sure you can handle more than one at a time, focus on only one.