1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

the Use if PostScript

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Cacian, Jan 30, 2012.

I have been researching the meaning of P.S.
    Firstly is it
    P.S without a full stop at the end?
    or
    P.S. with a full stop at the end?
    secondly
    I have looked it up this is what I found:

The questions I am bringing to your attentions are these
    Is P.S. a valid connotation and how useful is it to be used?

for example:
    should it be skipped all together because none of the reasons highlighted for it to be used cannot be proven to be true.
    Like here
    ''hastily or accidently'' means that one wrote the P.S without being aware they did.

and
    if one wrote a letter to you then at the bottom added:

P.S. I love you
    How would you feel about this?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

of course it's valid... and it's as useful as it needs to be, on a case by case basis...

who says they can't be proven to be true?... those are valid definitions... check several other dictionary sources and you'll see... and neither 'hastily' nor 'accidentally' means the one who wrote them wasn't aware they did... don't know how you got that idea...

it would depend on who wrote it and the circumstances... could be an endearing and welcome little ps, or it could be otherwise...

3. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Oh, I see, you read "incidentally" as "accidentally". Fair enough. :p

P.S. is used when you think of more to say after you've already written your letter or whatever. For example, I almost hit post after my first sentence. If I had, and then had to come back and use the edit button, it'd have been the perfect example of a modern day post script.

If you were writing a letter and stuck "P.S. I love you" on the end it would honestly look like you'd forgotten to think it through the rest of the letter and just before sending it realised that you probably ought to attach some feeling to it. It can look cute, or it can look like you weren't bothered to write a love letter in the first place and figured that would seal it off nicely :p Depends on the person. If I did it, I'm not very soppy or romantic, so it would look like was trying too hard. If some simpering romantic wrote it, it'd be adorable, and also probably the message would have been clear in the rest of the letter anyway. :p

In a story where you're making up fake letters post scripts would be good to use if you wanted to convey a character writing a note in a great hurry: they dash off the main point, sign it, then realise they have a lot of extra information to add, so throw on a post script to cover it. If you were writing a fictional letter from someone who was in a position to plan and had time to write a long letter then you'd be less likely to want to use P.S. for anything extra at the bottom of the letter because the situation implies the character wouldn't necessarily forget to add anything.

4. Jowettc

Jowettc New Member

P.S. is from a time of tallow candles, ink pots and short sighted scribes illuminating manuscripts imo.

In a digital world, it has no requirement as we may edit as we see fit at any point of the process. It would only come into play if one was, indeed as suggested, aping a written letter or note.

MTC

5. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    It persisted a little beyond that!
    Or, indeed, if one is actually using pen and ink to write a letter. Some people still do, and love-letters are probably the ones most likely to use old-tech. So "P.S. I love you" probably still gets some legitimate use.

6. Dave W.

Dave W. New Member

The use of P.S. has largely been made redundant in the electronic age.

It may serve as an indication of an author in a rush.