1. Mr Filthy

Mr Filthy New Member

I am completlely new to writing

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mr Filthy, Jul 13, 2010.

So I am completely new to writing, the most I have ever written is a two page essay for class. I enjoy reading and I used to play video games a lot. I believe that I have a rather large imagination and I come up with a lot of different ideas for sci-fi books and video games and or movies. I would really love to write a book because I have so many ideas.

I am really bad at punctuation and grammar but I am an excelent reader. Untill recently I have never been interested in writing but now that I have been typing all of my ideas up I have begun to fall in love with it.

I have signed up here to read all of your work and hopefully make myself a better writer in the process. I'm seriously thinking of joining a writing class at my local community college.

Thats all for now I guess

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Mr. Filthy, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Mr. Filthy. Welcome! This is a good forum for getting writing pointers and constructive criticism. I'm new here myself, and I'm glad I found the place.

4. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hello and welcome :)

5. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

There's a ton of information on the net to help people just starting out.

Welcome to the forums!

- Andy

(I like the tag.)

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome. :)

7. Mr Filthy

Mr Filthy New Member

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome.

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Hey Mr. Filthy (great username! :))

9. Mr Filthy

Mr Filthy New Member

Ive had this name for a while now it was my gamertag for xbox live and I also have it tattooed on my chest

10. MissBelle

MissBelle New Member

This is so wonderful. It always makes me smile when people have ambition and want to do something. And taking a class is a great idea. welcome, glad you have joined. :)