1. AlphaWerewolf10

AlphaWerewolf10 Member

Several Questions

Discussion in 'Research' started by AlphaWerewolf10, Jan 11, 2014.

I am currently working on a novel where the main character has a "vision" of his best friend dying in a car accident, drowning to be exact. I have a few questions; one about the accident and one about the friend.

1. The best friend dies in the MC's vision, but in reality, the MC is able to pull the friend out of the vehicle and administer CPR until paramedics arrive. Now, I understand CPR is not going to directly save the friend's life. I get that a visit to the hospital is needed. Now, if there are no other injuries save the friend almost drowning, how long would his stay in the hospital be?

2. I have this idea that the MC's best friend lives with the MC because his (the friend's) parents died sometime before the story starts. Would this be possible in real life? Say, would the MC's parents be able to adopt the friend in such a situation?

2. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

1. I doubt if they'd keep him much longer than overnight.

2. I'm no expert on Family Law, but I doubt if that would happen, especially if the friend had relatives alive and around. Could you make the friend a cousin ?

3. AlphaWerewolf10

AlphaWerewolf10 Member

I completely forgot about possible other family. Thanks for bringing that up. Changing his status to cousin could actually bring a little more depth to the two characters, taking into account a major plot twist later in the story. I think I may change him to being a cousin. It certainly makes more sense. Thanks again.

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Yes, this is definitely a possibility. Genetic relationship is not the end-all be all factor in this situation. It is especially plausible if the families themselves were close and the parents were friends. The parents of the one kid could have named the friend's parents as guardians if something were to happen to them. This sort of thing happens all the time -- there are often friends who are more similar in mindset than are family members, especially distant family members. Sometimes parents want the child to remain in the geographic location where they have lived since birth. Sometimes friends travel together and do other holiday events together (especially holidays like July 4 or Labor/Mem days). And especially if most of the family members are older (and therefore not really in the best position to take on raising a child), parents will name friends, especially friends who have children of roughly the same age as guardians. In fact, there are some situations where it is preferred that the parents name non-relatives, if they don't have any relatives who are of the appropriate age and financial situation/life station to care for the children.

Now, this also is not necessarily the final word. Courts are primarily concerned with the best interests of the child, so it is always possible a family member could challenge this designation of guardianship. (It is really nothing more than the expressed preference of the parents -- not a legally binding appointment in and of itself.) So nothing is set in stone, especially if there are reasons to believe that the suggested guardian would be harmful to the child.

But, there's no reason that a friend's parents could not be the guardians of the child.

AlphaWerewolf10 likes this.
  5. AlphaWerewolf10

AlphaWerewolf10 Member

I never thought of that. I always thought the child was always set by law to go to a relative (if any were alive). My Google searches were especially unhelpful when I began this research, seeing as I did not know what exactly I should be searching for. Thank you Chicagoliz for that informative and very helpful response.
    I said in my previous post that making the friend a cousin would be interesting, but knowing what I know now from what you posted, I feel like maybe I can keep the two boys as friends. Friendship has seemingly become a theme in my novels as of late, and I am pleased to know there is a realistic way I can keep my "deceased parents" idea and have the friends living in the same house. Both of those points are somewhat important to the big plot twist later on in the story.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

1. The best friend dies in the MC's vision, but in reality, the MC is able to pull the friend out of the vehicle and administer CPR until paramedics arrive. Now, I understand CPR is not going to directly save the friend's life. I get that a visit to the hospital is needed. Now, if there are no other injuries save the friend almost drowning, how long would his stay in the hospital be?

...I agree that overnight would be most likely...

2. I have this idea that the MC's best friend lives with the MC because his (the friend's) parents died sometime before the story starts. Would this be possible in real life? Say, would the MC's parents be able to adopt the friend in such a situation?[/quote]

...how old is the friend?... if young enough to be adopted, he has no other relatives willing to take him in, and the friend's parents pass the child services/court's requirements, there's no reason why he couldn't be...

7. AlphaWerewolf10

AlphaWerewolf10 Member

Both boys are 18, just graduating from high school. I haven't finalized any specifics for backstory yet, but I'd say that when the friend's parents die, he will be around 10 or 11.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

then what I said above would fit the situation...