1. DivineLemon

DivineLemon New Member

Snow Day.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DivineLemon, Dec 10, 2007.

Yesterday and into last night, my town was in the middle of a terrible ice storm. Power went out in several locations, thankfully not in my neighborhood. It flickers from time to time, but only last for about thirty seconds.

Ice has covered most things, the streets, tree branches and leaves, there are even icicles hanging about. I am so grateful that they canceled classes for the day.

When I was sitting in the living room, I heard a loud "boom" sounding from outside the kitchen window. I looked outside to find three big branches covering the grounded remains of our backyard fence. Many more "booms" followed my own and the streets in my neighborhood are covered with branches of varying sizes. It is nothing like the "Winter Wonderland" I had been expecting.

What natural disasters have hindered your outlook on the various seasons?

2. lessa

lessa New Member

DivineLemon that is horrible. all the poor trees.
    where abouts are you located.
    We don't get many ice storms but snow storms are common everyday occurances.
    Montreal gets lots of ice storms.

3. DivineLemon

DivineLemon New Member

I live in the US. The center area is getting the worst of the line of fire.

All of the trees look so bare. They have discolored portions from where the branches broke off. The massive tree beside my house is actually in an arched shape right now. It is terrible.

My room is on the second story of our house near where the tree is, I am so worried about it falling and crashing into my room, so I took my favorite books and put them in a tote bag and brought them all downstairs.

4. lessa

lessa New Member

There will certainly be lots of cleaning up to do when the ice is gone so you can actually move around.
    SW ontario gets much the same type of storms. But NW Ontario doesn't seem to get lots of storms. I think Lake Superior takes much of the brunt of them before they cross into Canada. We just seem to get wind and cold.
    Sure hope the trees won't enter the house. That would be scarey.

5. Frost

Frost Active Member

Poor tree's?! Just personally, I'd be more worried about myself and my fence. Not the trees.

Sounds pretty grim man.

Natural disasters? Fire. Lots of it

6. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    We get typhoon days in this part of China. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with that yet.
    Divine I hope the trees in your yard stay in your yard.

7. Good_writer

Good_writer Banned

Thank god you're safe!

8. lessa

lessa New Member

I'm not totally heartless. It is just that I grew up in an area that had the same storms and if a person is able to talk then it is all right. Now if I knew about the storm and we didn't hear from somebody living there then you worry.
    You can fix a house and a fence but trees take a lot longer to recover.
    I actually prefer winter storms to ones that knock out power in the summer heat. You lose a lot of food that is in the freezer and you get no relief from the heat.
    In winter put on more clothes and blankets and put the food outside.

9. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I've been in countless cyclones ranging from catagory 2's to catagory 4's and developing catagory 5's.

I've never been frightened of them however, I've always found them very exciting, that's why, (where I used to live), I anticipated the Wet season.

lol.