1. byronwells

byronwells New Member

Novel I Am New Here And I Really Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by byronwells, Feb 17, 2012.

Alrihght guys

I do hope that I have come to right place, if not do accept my apologies. Yep I am very much brand new to this forum so bear with me :)

Right at the moment I am in the process of writing a how to book and I have reached a point where my brain has just got dead and no matter how much research I do I just can't seem to find the answer I am looking for.

Can anyone help me? I am not sure if I should post my book here or what.. I don't know how it works. And I don't want no one else to knick my ideas.. lol

2. CH878

CH878 Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

Could you give a bit more info on your problem, because then I might be able to be more helpful. Is it a character problem, or setting, or just general plot?

If it's writer's block, there's a stickied thread about that somewhere, just have a look through the different areas.

One question, did you plan ahead, or are you just writing as you think it up. There's nothing to say you have to plan, but I personally find it best to know exactly where my story's going.

It might be best to leave the story for a while, see if anything comes to mind. Forcing writing is never good. Also, is this your first novel? If so (and no insult meant what so ever) it won't be the best thing you write, and it might just be that your idea doesn't stretch to a finished work. I've started loads of books and realised that it's just not going to work.

You could also try reading books of a similar genre, analyse their plots and see how they pan out.

Hope you find something of help in there.

3. CH878

CH878 Active Member

Also, as regards to people nicking your ideas, you'd be fine posting some general points. You can't copyright ideas, and even if people were to steal them, they'd write it in a completely different way to you.

4. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Hi byronwells,

Like CH878 stated before me, you might need to elaborate on what your problem is exactly. Are you having some sort of trouble researching facts? You mentioned you can't find what you're looking for, so I'm assuming you're having trouble with some sort of concept in your story. If that is the case, it's alright to ask. Some people here might know what you can't find.

5. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

If it's a 'how to' book, I assume it's facts you are checking, so why would you be worried about someone nicking your ideas? If you are stuck now after writing a fair amount, surely you don't need to post more than a tiny part of the book to allow us to help? Also, about your research--well, not everything is on the internet, actually. Luckily, there are still those places, you know, libraries, and other teachers or experts in the field you can go to for help. Can't say much more without knowing what you need help in exactly.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what is it you 'can't find'?... we can't help you if you don't tell us what you need help with, y'know...

and as for someone 'knicking' ['nicking'?] your idea, as noted above, it's probably been done already anyway and secondly, no one else will write it the same way as you will, so that's a non-issue...