1. Impressions

Impressions New Member

New amateur

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Impressions, Nov 6, 2013.

Hi, I'm not an aspiring writer, but I do enjoy writing. usually they are muses that occur to me during the day or after an experience, that I write down.

I've decided to try my luck and write fictional short story(so far 2000 words). I was referred to this forum by a semi professional writer, who told me this is a very strict and professional writing forum.

do you have any recommendation for reading materials I should go over, or forums to visit before I get dissected? I'll go over the FAQ naturally.

The thing is my grammar is a mess, I'm not a native English speaker, and proper sentences or proper section writing are probably leagues away from me.
    so anything in that aspect too, if I may be so rude to ask.

another question that's been puzzelling me about writing is,
    Why is there an academic way of writing, if poetry doesn't follow the guides of grammar?
    aren't there short stories who's been written like poetry? not in the short lines sense. more of the abstract pauses, deformed words, etc etc. those that don't follow the academic way. on that note, did Charles Bukowski knew his grammar/section writing or he had a terrific editor?

My goal in here, is just to see if my content has any emotional impact, or interest for people. perhaps I should go blogging, but I'm not sure there is a place for short stories in blogs?

Thanks.
    Ariel

2. Tara

Tara Senior Member

Welcome :)

Let's see if I can answer your questions:

If you want to learn fiction writing: forget about academic writing entirely, all you need is your vocabulary and grammar rules.
    If I'm right the academic writing structure is for essay writing, lab reports, school and non-fiction books etc.
    Fiction books have the "introduction-body-end" structure, but other than that you don't need to bother formal writing structures; you'll learn story writing as you go along.

You don't need to be a native speaker to come up with a good story in English, all you need is to be familiar with the language, its grammar rules and dictionaries. That's how I taught myself to write more or less decent stories.

I have to admit that I've never read any of Charles Bukowski's work, so I cannot say anything about that.

Enjoy the forum.

3. Impressions

Impressions New Member

thanks tara, very kind of you.
    I've visited the short stories forums, and I haven't seen any FAQs, is it ok to post there(after the 14 days cooldown)?

edit:
    just found forum rules where it describes everything. cheers.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

Please have a look through the Forum Rules, and the FAQ as a start.

Have fun! :D

Wrey

5. Impressions

Impressions New Member

as we speak :)

6. Tobin Tullis

Tobin Tullis New Member

I used to hestitate putting my writing "out there" based on my spelling and grammar. Two things allowed me to explore my writing passion freely-

1. Content writing (conversational) is on the rise and more sought after than strict, college style prose
    2. I stopped caring so much what others thought. If it is important to me then thats all that matters.

at the end of the day, there are plenty of people that are good to edit, and they are found in places like this.

I am new here as well and am looking forward to seeing what comes of it.

Good Luck!

7. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

@Impressions and @Tobin Tullis
    Welcome to this forum! It is an amazing community, and you will learn tons of stuff by just spectating!

Worth noting about posting your own work:
    Never ever allow any comment or critique on your work crush your heart. They are all there to help and accepting them will make you learn so much more! (Speaking based on personal experience)

8. Impressions

Impressions New Member

Thanks for this welcome tobin and Komposten(how do you name tag by the way?)

9. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Write '@' and the user's name. As you write you will also be given suggestions for users whose names start with what you have written.