1. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

I am working on a scifi concept.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Acrimen19, Dec 8, 2010.

Its about a source that has taught itself to become more like a human and is trying to dominate humanity by corrupting the minds of a line of human like robots.

I have thought of some characters that are underdeveloped and other stuff such as the plot and subplot. The theme is about overcoming pride.

If anyone has any ideas please reply. I have already mentioned the plot to some people but it seems pretty much in need of brain storming.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's your job as a writer to develop your story. Stories by committee are as good as government-run businesses, and for the same reason.

1 person likes this.
  3. darthjim

darthjim New Member

But British Rail was a government run... Oh.

4. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth New Member

Just start writing your first draft. You will come to know your characters, and invent new ones as needed. Don't edit, just write. When you're done, go back and re-write it, this time knowing the end from the beginning, and what characters you need and don't need.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

lol!!

6. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

Cogito, what you say is true, but I would like to say that I believe he is looking more for inspiration than actual ideas and specific events.

Go for it, but don't just start writing. I always have an outline 3-12 pages long before I begin detailing all aspects of my characters, and how all the various hints and twists in my story fit together.

Try writing random things to brainstorm initially, but I'd advise against just starting the rough draft without more preparation, especially if you're writing a novel.

7. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

I'm with Cogito. To add to that, I figure if these things like characters or story lines haven't come to me, then I'm either not inspired enough by the idea or I haven't given enough time to flesh out the idea.

Moral is; it's gotta come from what inspires me from within or I don't feel like I accomplished it.

8. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

Well, I have though of an old draft that I used long ago. It makes more sence to me what the situation is like.

I will do most of the work. I just want some advise on how to edit it.

Heres by older verson of the story.

A small village of man made robots have been infected over the years, fighting with control of a mysterious figure. Despite their evil minds, one robot named Gus wants to stop all the stuff he has done, which might help the humans defeat the virus that has infected them. This virus has been given by their leader who is no human, yet wants to be.
    One day, several inventors join forces to think of a plan to attack the area and help the robots come back to their territory. One young man named Blake Harris, has been fascinated with androids for many years and believes that the virus is not all that effective since they are not able to kill as much humans as they could. Blake tells them that he will be willing to go there and plan to stop the virus with kindness and not force.
    For days, Gus has been trying to find a way to the human city. He has searched for days for human society. Soon A man comes out and attacks him bringing him to the city to take him to a prison cell. He asks him where he is and where he came from. Gus is scared yet, tries to explain. The man is then encountered by Blake Harris who forces him to release him. Gus sees him in fear. Yet Blake Harris tells him to leave him there on the safe side.
    A bunch of robotic forces join together to find a plan to kidnap Gus in order to keep the virus being shut down. The enemy’s leader mysteriously appears to the robots and tells them that Gus must be destroyed or else the other robots will rebel as well. He also sends a cyber spirit to locate were Gus is, after sending out forces.
    Gus sees the spirit and is able to escape. Gus fights threw guards and goes to Blake Harris’s house. He tries to find shelter and does so by hiding under a couch. Dr Harris wakes up seeing him early in the morning and agrees to keep him here not knowing the whole story about why he escaped. The spirit sees where Gus is and leaves.
    Gus explains why he left knowing that his leader is after him and is going to kill him if he comes back to the village. Luckily, he explains that the facility that holds robot data which was stolen years ago. Gus and Dr Harris agree to go on a journey to locate the facility. After they leave the city, robots come and get to the city seeing that they have left. The robots raid the city in the process and decide to follow the satellite tracker in the center of the city to locate the car.
    After much peril, the finally get to the facility area and figure out how to get in the facility. They get their butts kicked threw the process. They are then chased by some robots near the city. They get threw lots of fights. They finally get to the area that can shut down the facility. They are then seen by the enemy who changes the code making in unlikely to shut it down.
    Yet seeing the enemy’s cruelty the robots overcome the virus and open the facility and beat up the enemy and they fall over the cliff with Blake Harris almost down with them. Gus and the rest of the robots help Blake up and help him recover his bruising. After a long day, they make it to the city and become part of human society one again.

This is what I thought of a long time ago, I think it sound better. BTW thanks for the advice.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm on the cog/jeff side here...

rennat... how is what he's asking for 'inspiration'?... he's asking for others to supply him with plot elements, not 'inspire' him to write... and to be a writer means you come up with your own plots, not depend on others for them...

10. darthjim

darthjim New Member

Someone tell J.K. Rowling that, please.

11. Vacuum Eater

Vacuum Eater New Member

What do you mean? :confused:

12. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

Yeah, I hereby formally change my side. I now agree fully with cogito and jeff.

13. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

I am actually a beginner at this stuff. I'm interested in writing stuff. I just needed a good recourse. I'm just in need of people who like writing as much as I'm am interested.

That's about it really

14. mammamaia

glad to see you've seen the light, rennat!

darthjim...
    so, did jkr go about asking other writers to give her ideas for her books?

15. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

?

I hope I am not a bother, cause if I am I could just get started myself if that's ok. I don't want to be a nuisance.

16. darthjim

darthjim New Member

No, she just read their books and then LIFTED THEIR IDEAS WHOLESALE.

Ahem. I feel strongly about this. You may have gathered that.

17. Vacuum Eater

Vacuum Eater New Member

Do you know which books she lifted ideas from? I know she used plenty of derived creatures (like vampires, werewolves, and unicorns) but I wouldn't exactly call this "lifting" since they've been around, well, forever.

18. Biffa001

Biffa001 New Member

there was a list on lifehacker a while ago, although I can't for the life of me find it now. It contained everything from similar (and one with the same) names to various characters, to lots of main story arcs.

19. wolfi

wolfi New Member

I'm sorry but every single book has someone saying "they took that form this"

I've just now don't believe a word of it

nothing aginst you jim

20. Vacuum Eater

Vacuum Eater New Member

Ok, so I looked into it, and it appears that J.K. Rowling borrowed many ideas from Jane Yolen's Wizard's Hall.

21. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

let's suppose the whole plot was taken from that novel, I would still consider her one of the best out there. The way she fleshes out characters is amazing. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, Dumbledore, Snape; they're all very vivid and unique. But anyways, what idea did she use from that book?

22. Vacuum Eater

Vacuum Eater New Member

Moving pictures, a magic school, starry ceiling, red-haired pal.

23. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

That's not very nice. Very standoffish.

I've noticed how you take this tone with other members and I'm wondering why you aren't more supportive.

24. mammamaia

it's not standoffish, pete... just common sense and reality... so many new writers so often ask others to give them ideas and that simply makes no sense at all... to be a writer means you come up with your own ideas and do your own writing, not have others do any of that for you...

if you have a problem with some part of your writing and need some feedback to help you solve it, that's a different thing altogether and it's what we're here for... but to ask a bunch of other writers, all of whom are supposedly working on their own projects, to come up with ideas for a new piece of work that you as a writer should be able to dream up on your own, is not being a writer...

25. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

Oh yah, I was looking for some feedback not ideas. If I did give the impression of having othere help me write it, I apologize.