1. Jud

Jud New Member

Kernel of an idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jud, May 1, 2012.

I've heard many times that discussing your ideas for a novel is not advised, on the strength that your enthusiasm will be diminished once you've exposed your character to the outside world. That said, I'm not an established writer and struggle very much with plot development and structure, and would welcome any advice.

Before I discuss my idea, however, I would appreciate some opinions on my initial point.

Thanks in advance.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. What matters is how you write it: the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's absolutely no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. Jud

Jud New Member

Sorry, Cogito, maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I'm not looking for opinions on the idea itself, more for help on how to develop and structure it.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that would be writing by committee and is not recommended... to avoid that, you need to come up with your own ideas on how to develop an idea into a plot... that's what serious fiction writers do...