1. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Broken Records...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BayView, Nov 16, 2016.

I've been catching myself giving the same opinion/advice over and over lately. Different contexts, but same advice. And there are other posters on the forum who I feel can be counted on to give their own "standard" feedback in a variety of situations.

I think it could get a bit mean-spirited if we start suggesting what other people on the board say over and over, but it might be fun to point out the things we see ourselves repeating?

If so, I'll start!

I'm a broken record with "start your story where your story starts."

Anyone else catch themselves?

bonijean2 and Spencer1990 like this.
  2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

"Just write what you want. You can always go back and change it later."

bonijean2 and BayView like this.
  3. Jaiden

Jaiden Member

Anything that is akin to "Be who you want to be" and "Do what needs to be done" is hilariously awful. I'm a bit all over the show sometimes, particularly this late in the day, but probably the only thing I do that I don't particularly like is using advice that didn't work for me and giving it to other people to run with. Not that it's inherently bad advice, but because if it works then I get all agitated about it.

4. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

"Stop worrying about what other people think and write."

Also, "cliches are cliched for a reason."

I never had a problem with that word until I joined this forum... Some people (myself included, once upon a time) are way too concerned about not using any cliche whatsoever. If you can make it work, then write it! Sheesh.

bonijean2, Spencer1990 and BayView like this.
  5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

"IT'S NOT PASSIVE VOICE DAGNABBIT IT JUST ISN'T!"

Ahem.

6. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Some variation on 'do what you want, just do it well' whenever there's a question that begins 'Am I allowed to...'

There's probably others. But I know I come out with that one a lot.

BayView likes this.
  7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Oh, that reminds me of another one of mine: Don't ask what's 'right'; ask what's effective.

bonijean2 likes this.
  8. bonijean2

bonijean2 Ancient Artists And Storytellers Rock

Respect other people's opinions and in the words of Aretha Franklin, "Respect Yourself."

BayView likes this.
  9. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

When it's the work of newer writers, I've found you see the same three dozen or so problems over and over again, and a few of those are the very most common. So I'd think anyone who critiques a lot would probably find themselves feeling like a broken record to some extent.

What I have a problem with is more the tendency to give too thorough critiques, which sometimes seems to overwhelm newer writers. I used to offer a paid critique service and while the new-ish ones on critique boards sometimes get mad when you point out everything you see that you think needs work, paying customers seem to love it and feel like they're getting their money's worth, so go figure.

Now, if I think a piece needs a lot of work, I try to remember to just say "Here are a few thoughts" and pick out three or four issues that stand out to me the most. I don't feel like it's as good of a job but either way has pitfalls.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    BayView likes this.
  10. G. Anderson

G. Anderson Active Member

I think I always say things like 'but my opinion is only subjective', or 'some will get it, some won't'.

I am not a very good critique which I feel bad about since critiques have help me, but I have a hard time thinking why my opinion should matter since it's just the opinion of one, and then I always think that maybe the writer had a reason for everything they wrote and what a gift that they're sharing it, and I better not ruin it by critiquing their work.

BayView likes this.
  11. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

Anyone remotely familiar with my posts knows I have a one-string banjo that, when you pluck it, sounds an awful lot like the word "POV."

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    BayView likes this.
  12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"Give yourself permission to be crap - its called the shitty first draft for a reason"

"show don't tell is an over simplification, a novel with only showing would be tedious as hell, its a balance not an either or"

"stop trying to write by committee"

G. Anderson and BayView like this.
  13. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Clarity and cause-effect.. I can't seem to stop harping on them. o_O

BayView likes this.